1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Close call

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John King, Aug 12, 2020.

1. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Yesterday I was driving down the A1 just to the north of Newark on the way to see my grandchildren and was in the process of overtaking a line of about 6 lorries travelling in convoy (as they do) The lead lorry was about a lorries length in front of the second when one of the tyres on the lead lorry disintegrated and the band of rubber with the tread parted company from the carcass.

The rubber then hit the centre reservation and bounced back into the gap between the lead and second lorry only to reappear from under the 3rd lorry and hit the central reservation and fall back into the road. This part of the A1 is only 2 lanes wide and was now on a slight left hand curve, I had no where to go and hit the rubber ring at about 55 mph. (I had been travelling around 65mph). and when it reappeared I was no more than 25 feet away I could not brake because of a 4x4 on my tail. There was an almighty bang when my car passed over the rubber ring and likewise with the 4x4 behind. Needless to say the lorry didn't stop.

I pulled over as soon as I could but luckily the only visible damage was to a piece of plastic which was fitted between the side if the engine and the bodywork and to a mud deflector on the bottom of the front valance. If I had been just that bit closer it might have been a different story. I am with Greenflag so called them to check the integrity of the car and they gave it the all clear, but for a few seconds it was a pulse racing situation!

ascu75 and John Farrell like this.
  2. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Do you have a dashcam?

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Horrible experience. Shedding retreads seems less common than it was. There was a time when motorways were lined with them.

Debris on the road is pretty scary. I went over a sack of cement on the motorway once, same kind of situation, nowhere to go, just try not to swerve. Terrible bang it made. How it didn’t rip the sump off the engine I don’t know. It always amazes me that people don’t slow down and increase gap to vehicle in front when the warning lights flash 50 because it usually means debris.

4. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

A while back, quite a while back (I had an MGB at the time) one of those removable number plates flew off a lorry and hurtled, like a discus, at my head. I ducked down and waited for the impact - nothing! Apparently the airflow over my car took the thing with it.

MickLL

5. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Glad you are okay :eek:

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I can tell you exactly why people don't slow down for warning signs. Have you heard the story of "The boy who cried Wolf"?

Simply the signs are switched on in a timely manner over a long stretch of road then they remain on for a considerable time after the problem has been resolved. As a result a huge number of people see the sign, and slow down then five miles later, after encountering nothing at all, the signs are off and they resume normal speed. After a few instances of this, with no apparent reason for the signs, they learn that the signs don't mean anything and start to ignore them.

I see this a lot on the M25 where there are signs saying "Report of Debris" then a couple of miles later they are off and there has been no sign of anything. Speed limits are imposed with the sign "Congestion" and there is less traffic than on the section just passed. If the signs were turned off as promptly as they are turned on more people would take notice; as it is few people, with what they believe to be good reason, take any action.

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Re Geoff's point above I'll be honest - I tend to cruise through the temporary sign limits at about 10mph over, because otherwise you are just a chicane for lorries, and keep an eye as far ahead as possible for a genuine problem. It is very rare that you see one.

8. PeteRob

You have to distinguish between warning signs, where you have discretion and speed limit signs where you don’t. Some of the newer informational signs which can display text can also put up a speed limit sign - this is mandatory, unlike the central reservation signs, originally for fog, which are advisory. Indeed, if you can see far enough ahead to be able to stop or safely avoid an obstruction then an advisory 50 can be avoided but anyone close-following another vehicle or approaching from behind unsighted is just asking for trouble.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  9. John King

John King Well-Known Member

No I don't have a dash cam and in any case it would not have made any difference, the other vehicle that lost the tyre was from Europe with the registration plate one the other side and with very small letters. From the design and size of the plate to me it looked like italian,

This part of the A1 is not motorway, but a dual carriageway and as the debris detached itself at that moment from the lorry, any warning signs would not have been lit up anyway. The traffic was moving at well within the speed limit. It is a case of sods law and fortunately not a lot of damage was done.

I say sods law because I have only just had the rear bumper valance replaced last week following an incident where I was rear ended in a car park and the driver drove after that as well! The replacement parts are going to cost about £15 +vat but I can fit them myself.

John Farrell likes this.
  10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I find it highly unlikely the lorry driver would even have been aware of any delamination of the tyre.

11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I was driving to Nottingham a few weeks ago and we were following 2 artic lorries (from the same company) driving together. We saw the front lorry have a blow out, you could see the dust as the tyre blew. The trailer then listed to one side. It would have been obvious (certainly to the following lorry). It didn't stop, probably because we were on a dual carriageway. The thing was, it didn't even pull into one of the long lorry lay by's 100 or so metres further along. I dare say that thing will have been shedding rubber as it was driving along and never took the first opportunity to stop (or indeed another one further along as we saw it a bit later too).

12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Yes a blowout on a 'super single' will be obvious, a tread delamination on a remould tyre as described not so.

13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Oh I appreciate that Martin. I wasn't saying it to say that the remould shedding would be noticeable too.

I was making the point that neither of them really seemed to give a **** about it.

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I can't say that I have ever seen an information sign with a speed limit on a road that doesn't already have a variable speed limit. I have seen information signs on the M25 with a lower speed limit and these tend to be observed but I have, so far, not seen the obstruction/debris/pedestrians about which the signs were warning. I have occasionally seen the remnants of incidents at the side of the road but nothing like as often as I have seen warnings. It is absolutely no surprise to me that very few people take any notice where there isn't a variable speed limit.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen aircraft taxi in on the carcase of a tyre after a tread strip, it is surprisingly common, Concorde report link and potentially very serious. The link will download a PDF.

15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I once had the offside front wheel fall off an old Hillman Super Minx. The top arm sheared and then the whole assembly tore off. I was very lucky that I was climbing a steep hill at the time, so I came to a more or less smooth stop. I'd only just bought the car from a local garage for £100. To my amazement, they not only came and collected me but repaired the damage free of charge. I drove the car for another year and a half without any trouble and part exchanged it for more than I'd paid in the first place!

16. PeteRob

They are usually on the left of the carriageway and can display a speed limit sign as well as text. Usually they carry informational messages such as “tiredness kills”, “ don’t drink and drive” etc. I’ve only seen a speed limit on one a very few times. A variable speed limit area has its own dedicated signs.

17. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Wot! NO dashcam, who doesn't have dashcams these days :( :( :(

I have 2 and a rear camera

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I’ve seen them alright but if they aren’t in a variable speed limit area how is the reduced speed enforced?

19. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Me.

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I don’t either