1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cleaning the image sensor

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by scotland21, Mar 11, 2006.

1. scotland21

scotland21 Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a good sensor cleaning kit??
    There are quite a few out there so I would love to get some feedback from those who have used them first.
    I have been looking at the digipads on warehouse express with interest. :)

2. ElectricPics

ElectricPics Well-Known Member

I use the digipads with Eclipse. IMHO a lot of the packaged kits are a rip-off, particularly the make-up brushes at a 1000% markup.

3. scotland21

scotland21 Well-Known Member

are they easy to use and do they do a job??

4. ElectricPics

Very easy. Two small drops of eclipse on the tip, wipe along slowly and firmly from left to right along the top of the sensor, slide the tip down from top to bottom and then reverse direction, all in one continuous movement. I've never had to repeat to get the sensor properly clean.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Ditto.

6. Les_McLean

Les_McLean Well-Known Member

Ditto, I also use the visible dust sensor brushes.
    Normally the sensor brush weekly, it's good for the larger dust spots, and the pads around once a month for a good clean.

Les

http://www.lesmclean.co.uk/

7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I use a Big Blower and after looking (more closely) at my sky shots from my latest outing....I should get it out again......actually should have probably done the cleaning yesterday and I wouldn't be saying this :(.

Cheers,

Jack

8. daveish182

daveish182 Well-Known Member

Anyone tried a bit of Vim and a scouring pad? lol
    ooops don't mean to upset the digitised

9. mudstuff

mudstuff Active Member

Any chance of a link to where I can buy this? Just got back from Dubai and I have some dirt etc in the sensor of my 20D.

Luke

10. ElectricPics

No problem - Warehouse Express sells Eclipse and the pads. They also sell a lot of other cleaning kits, most of which I'd keep well clear of, particularly the makeup brushes masquerading as sensor cleaners but with a massive price tag. Anything on the sensor that a dry cleaning kit will shift can be done with a much cheaper blower, and it's likely that any sensor (even Olympus with the self-cleaning sensors) will eventually need an alcohol clean.

11. mudstuff

mudstuff Active Member

Thanks for the reply. Will get on it. I'm off to Longleat next weekend and hope to come back with some good wildlife pics so need to give my camera a good clean after all the sand in Dubai!