1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Cleaning a camera ?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Stephen Rundle, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

As you know ! I have bought a D60 lately and have just ordered a D30 Canon.

However it is in a mess. Image from ebay seller

Whilst I am not bothered too much it would be nice to use it, so, what would you clean the mirror with and how, thanks

30.jpg

2. Stephen Rundle

I do have these anything else I need

Thanks

IMG_20200706_121132461[1].jpg

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Those will do to start,
    Don't touch the mirror, with anything.
    You may want a brush, a modellers paint brush should suffice to shift dust that can't be blown out.
    A 1/2" paint brush cut to about 1/2' long can be used with a solution of washing up liquid and water to shift grease from the outside, you don't need much, just moisten the bristles and gently scrub the outside. A tooth brush will do just as well.
    Don't touch the mirror
    A lint free cloth moistened with Isopropyl alcohol is good for shifting greasy marks from screens and lens mounts, though that one doesn't look bad.
    You may want to have a clean cloth on the surface you are working on and a towel to dry the outside once it is clean, you aren't getting it wet but you will want to remove any water that remains.

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Best not to touch the mirror. Too easily damaged

5. Stephen Rundle

Will have to

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I suggest that you won't have to. If it won't come off the mirror with a blower you need a professional clean of the mirror. SLR mirrors are "front silvered" and the surface is very soft and easily scratched, by which I mean so easily scratched that even a soft cloth can leave permanent damage.

7. Stephen Rundle

Not dramatically bothered as it is a D30 but if it is usable ok without then I won't but you know what people like me are like, OCD etc

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

hqdefault.jpg

9. Stephen Rundle

I usually post this one :)

10. Stephen Rundle

Came today, says on box top left for "monitors" ?? :eek:

IMG_20200707_104733770[1].jpg

11. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Hi, it looks like the silvering has deteriorated, but difficult to tell from photo. Could you do a closeup of just the mirror, with defused lighting?

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Probably someone trying to clean it. Looks in dreadful state as if it has been stored without a body cap on.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

That it does.

14. Stephen Rundle

YOU were RIGHT, when using the camera it does not show, effect it.

It IS just years of dust

15. Stephen Rundle

Thanks all

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

That makes a change

17. IanG1957

IanG1957 Well-Known Member

Hear hear

18. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I suppose if you put it in rice, making sure enough goes into the camera all the water will get absorbed and should be OK.

19. Stephen Rundle

:)