1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Classic" Digital Cameras.....???

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by dangie, Apr 9, 2008.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

With almost every digital camera being updated annually, has there ever been, or will there be, a "Classic" digital camera...?

2. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

In terms of it's influence on subsequent generations of dSLRs the DCS520 probably has to be considered one of the first classic Digital Cameras. Plus is was probably the first really usual dSLR.

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I wonder if the D30 might... first DSLR available at a vaguely sensible price...

Mine still works too........ and no I didn't buy it at the 'vaguely sensible' price....... :D

4. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I would have though that the Canon 5D may be considered a 'classic' in time.

5. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Indeed, some years ago at a Classic car show I noticed Ladas had a stand so why not? ;)

6. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Meeeeeoooowwww! :D

7. Northerner

What I meant was, it will be seen as a landmark camera for Canon.

Graham

8. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Whilst I don't necessarily disagree, could I respectfully point out that the 5D was not the first full-frame Canon DSLR, nor was it the first "prosumer" DSLR in the Canon range. In fact there was very little if anything introduced with the 5D which had not previously been on the high-end "pro" cameras. It was the combination of high specification, excellent performance and relatively affordable price which marked it out as special.

9. Northerner

Precisely what I was trying to say - high quality, full frame for the masses, as it were.

10. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

Without wanting to start a digi versus film arguement I can not see the Canon D5, Nikon D100/200/300 or any other digital camera for that matter ever achieving the 'classic' status.

Electronic imagary is progressing far faster than film imaging ever did and who knows what is round the corner. Say in 10-20 years time will we still use computers as we do now? Will we still be able to get the correct batteries for them? What about the storage of images? There is still a 'question' over CD Rom's and how long they will remain usable.

Film cameras have been around for at least 150+ years and any negative produced from them will still be printable.

I can see digital cameras being 'Museum pieces' but never 'classics'in the true sense of the word.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well you're right on one score at least - there's no such thing as a Canon D5... :D

12. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: "Classic" Digital Cameras.....??? Way Back in 1991, there was....

.... This one :eek:

;)

Jack

13. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Point (1) If such motoring marvels as the Austin Allegro are now appearing at classic car shows, who's to say that D*00s or Eos *Ds won't be seen in the same light in a few years?

(2) 10 years ago, I used a computer in much the same way as I do now, even fiddling with JPEGs a little. I see no reason why I wouldn't still be doing so in 10-20 years' time.

(3) No. I have some apallingly badly processed films from the '70s and '80s that are way beyond printing - and the prints that came with them are as bad as the negs. I'll agree that properly processed and stored negs should still be printable but not ALL negs are! ;)

14. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Have you tried scanning the negatives. I had some 50 year old negatives. The image was entirely yellow but they scanned perfectly producing usable, although a bit contrasty, files.

15. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Never mind CD Roms; there are already some early DSLRs whose files are unreadable on modern computers! Things are likely to settle down of course, but who can say how long older models (even ones which are new at time of writing) will continue to be supported over the course of software upgrades in coming years.

16. Northerner

I could go on line now and easily find software which will allow me to play zx spectrum games from 25 years ago. I have no doubt whatsoever that every single RAW file from digital cameras in circulation today will be readable in 100 years time with a bit of research.

Cheers,

Graham

17. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

and the life of a camera LCD/info display is ?????????? :eek:

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

...a lot longer than the oft-quoted 10 years, that's for sure.

19. Northerner

I'm not sure of the relevance of an LCD lifespan when it comes to being able to read 'old' file formats?? :D

Graham