1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classic Compacts article

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by gray1720, Jan 26, 2022.

1. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

I have just seen one on E bay asking £180 with the A16 flash which I also have somewhere though that has not been used for years neither have I seen the original presentation case but that is sized for the A11 flash so unfortunately not a complete set as such.
    I think I got it in a PX deal at one of the shops I worked in, anything we were offered that the shop did not want we were allowed to buy as long as we put the cash into the deal and did not take the mickey, that would have been in the early 90's so I expect I paid a little bit more than you did but not much more.

peterba likes this.
  2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I regularly remember how (relatively) affordable a Nikon SP was when I lived in Japan. If I'd have bought one then I could have had great use and tripled my money selling on.

peterba and zx9r like this.
  3. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Way back when I paid £250 for a mint Leica M2 because it was three months older than me, it is a long story but it was in a shop ran by a friend, and could not afford any Leica lenses to go with it. Oh how I wish I had dug deeper in my pockets to find the cash.

peterba and Zou like this.
  4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Many years ago my wife had a Cosmic Symbol (the later model of the Cosmic in the article), and it worked perfectly and produced good quality negatives - until she dropped it. It was a perfect beginner's 35 mm camera, and so cheap that its loss wasn't a financial disaster. The exposure setting using its weather symbol dial was accurate enough for monochrome and colour negative work, but I never tried it with Kodachrome. There were also aperture and shutter speed settings, so it could be used with an external light meter if required.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

You might not be totally shocked to know I've got one. ;)

Pretty pointless.

Must say I was almost horrified when I got my ME, felt like absolute rubbish - but it's a pretty decent little camera, with a nice lens and plenty of control.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, quite a nice camera. Mine cost me a tenner brand new from Jessops shortly after they opened in Leeds, back in the early 80s. Still have it, and it mostly still works - apart from the flash sync, which stopped working when I dropped it. Respectable enough lens when stopped down.

You set the aperture to your film speed, then the weather symbols selected shutter speed, although both controls were marked as you say (on the bottom of the barrel for the shutter speed). Mostly used it for colour print film - what I tended to use compacts for.

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Surely not!

My feelings on the ME were much the same - it was so plasticky it took me a bit to twig it was actually a rangefinder!

Got a red XA2 with flash somewhere... with the other red cameras!

zx9r likes this.
  8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've only got an XA and an XA1, but for some reason, I've A11, A16 and A9M flashes.

Did enjoy the XA as my main compact for years. XA1 lived in the car - it's basically a Trip in an XA body.

zx9r likes this.