1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Classic Compacts article

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by gray1720, Jan 26, 2022.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

So... who's got some of them? I have four* - five if two Trip 35s count as two seperate ones - and I bet I know who has a Vito B... Personally I was delighted to see the Ricoh 500ME - very plastic, until you get it up to your eye, when you really appreciate that lightness - and I'd never seen that clockwork winder before!

* though the Retinette has snuffed it

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Are we counting non-auto-everythings here?

S

3. gray1720

Well, the suggestion in the article was "take the battery out", so I think you are OK...

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

To me, the last series of folding Retinas were the ultimate compacts. I was very fond of my 1B (019) which was a very pleasant camera to use.

Retina1Bopen.jpg

5. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I've bought, repaired and sold a couple of Trip 35s - they sell for silly money here. Does a Werra 1e class as a compact?

6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

A couple of Canon, a Vito II or several, a Petri Colour 35, Retina II & III, Pentax Q,

Wouldn't class the Werra ss a compact, just a cracking little series.

S

7. gray1720

Hard to say with the Werra - the flat-top Werra 1 is *very* compact, the later ones, especially with interchangeable lenses, less so - but, as Steve says, great cameras whatever you call them.

Trip 35s make silly money everywhere now - I think my two both cost less than £10, and needed sticky apertures sorting, but that was 10-12 years ago.

The other one I have is the Oly35RC.

zx9r likes this.
  8. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

^^^^ The one with the rangefinder, sort of a proto XA ?
    If so a fine camera, but so too were the similar cameras from Yashica, Minolta, Canon etc.

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

10. gray1720

Can't get much smaller - and disconcertingly like a Werra that's been washed too hot! I was looking at the first pic trying to work out why the Werra looked wrong...

Zou likes this.
  11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Minox?

12. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

I thought " Oh a Leica CL" :)

13. gray1720

True - the Minox 35 was *really* pushing the limits of 35mm film
    (waits for someone to come up with something smaller)

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I don't give the B35 as much use as it deserves, but what I do love is that it is perfectly suited to a left eye shooter. Would prefer metric distances above the lens rather than beneath but hey-ho.

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

What I'm doing wrong is I always stick the wrong film in. Should really use a faster film enabling a wider aperture/more DoF and use more like a snapper. Got a few frames of Provia 100 to use up and then it'll be HP5+ methinks.

16. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

IMG_5406v800.jpg

My XA still sees a bit of action, last outing for it was this morning.

Terrywoodenpic and peterba like this.
  17. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Great camera. My XA cost £20 (IIRC) about 15 years ago, when film was (supposedly ;)) dead in the water. These days, they seem to fetch well over £100. :eek:

I also have the XA2, which - in many ways - I actually prefer.

zx9r likes this.
  18. peterba

[Helpful - but perhaps slightly pedantic - alert ;)] I think you meant "narrower aperture".

Zou likes this.
  19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Serves me right for changing my phrase mid-sentence, meant wider DoF but edited it poorly.

peterba likes this.
  20. peterba

:oops: Easily done!

Zou likes this.