1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest,

Nature photography is hugely popular, and there is always something more to learn. We've got the best photographers in this fascinating genre to share their tips and advice on the gear and techniques needed for stand-out shots, and inspire us with their wonderful images.

Whether you’re a beginner or intermediate photographer, and whether you're into flowers, insects or animals, you'll learn something new in this issue of 'Improve Your Photography' – and come away with your creative batteries fully charged.

Simply enter your details to receive your downloadable copy of 'Improve Your Photography – Nature'.

3. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Dismiss Notice

Classic camera??

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by wheeliebug, Jan 24, 2016.

1. wheeliebug

wheeliebug Member

When does a camera become a classic?

My wife has a Nikon D1H and a D1X, both of which she is fond of.
    I have a Canon EOS 5D and a Fujifilm X100.

All of these are worthy of being classics. So what are other peoples opinions of what makes a classic and how old does a camera need to be to qualify?

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Some can become classics, I think, almost instantly. Of your home collection, the Canon 5D, I would suggest exemplifies that.

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I suspect that only time really defines a classic camera as it's requires the passage of some considerable amount of that to show which cameras have the kind of long term 'want' factor that makes a camera classic.

Of course the causes behind the want factor vary a lot form rarity through to popularity, being the first of a genre, being the last of a genre, being used by well known photographers, through being fantastically good, through being spectacularly awful etc. etc...

Whether any digibox makes it to classic is an interesting question. In theory some ought to be but which ones and do they still have to work? After all lot of classic film cameras are still usable though only with a lot of fiddling to find/cobble up suitable film stock...