1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Chucking it in

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by Brian, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I am with Tony. You seem to have bought and sold more camera gear in the last few years than most people do in a lifetime.

You have also singed the praises of eBay over those years apart from the unfortunate recent episode, one bad deal compared with 10s of good deals? Did they ever sort sort the bad deal?

If owning and being seen to use DSLR equipment is such a bad thing, then use eBay one last time to dispose of everything.

2. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I will never use eBay again
    Scammed 3 times in 10mths for £2K+!! Yes, have been refunded, but this last scam was by far the most traumatic. Not so much the money, but the flat refusal by both eBay and PayPal to believe me, even with credible proof by Royal Mail head office!! Horrendous, will never risk that happening again. Not EVER
    Yes, it’s a considerable amount, easily £10K+ at used eBay prices. But unless god forbid the wolf comes knocking and that I can fathom a way to store properly....then I’ll write the investment off and put it down to bad experience.
    The 7d and L zoom will see occasional use at sons sports, the rest....I just cannot even imagine a time or place where I will use any of it

3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

From the above posts, I see a pattern emerging. Perhaps the compromise most of us make, assuming we can afford to buy what we want, is the balance between carrying a camera with a larger sensor than that in a smartphone, or a smartphone, and working within the limitations of whichever one we choose. I have a half-frame (APS-C) DSLR that I usually carry with only one lens, although I have a variety of lenses to choose from, and carry a very small basic mobile telephone which is very rarely used. Other people will choose to not carry any type of camera, but will carry a smartphone that is much larger than my mobile telephone.

4. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

... and got your fingers burnt.....

When it comes to photographic gear, particularly expensive gear, as the old saying goes "if its seems too cheap to be true, it probably is". Why pay, say £1800 for something from someone you don't know with no warranty rather than paying a bit more and buying from a reputable company backed by full warranty and customer service/support? I've dabbled with buying a handful of used lenses, and as I have said before some sellers' ideas of "good" condition are extremely optimistic so I would certainly be very, very wary of buying something costing several hundred pounds let alone a few thousand (assuming I could afford to spend that much!)

5. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I am with you on this. I have bought some camera equipment from eBay, nothing expensive but that was several years ago and I avoid it. Like you I prefer to pay the extra and get a warranty.

Back on topic, we visited on of the RHS gardens yesterday, my wife used her iPhone, I used a DSLR. Looking at her photos on an iPad they are very good. Mine have yet to be processed.

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Let us put things into context
    In 15yrs I’ve made in excess of 1800 purchases. Pretty much trouble free throughout that 15yr period.
    In the last 10mths I’ve been scammed 3 times, clearly organised criminal gangs that are now able to obtain real Royal Mail Special Delivery Tracking Numbers that are either on my street or very very nearby. Hence the absolute nightmare of convincing eBay and PayPal that the item supposedly delivered was not my address or my name.

Clearly the good times have gone, scammers are now aware of the rich pickings and the lazy attitude of PayPal and eBay.

Although I was eventually refunded by eBay, PayPal were indignant that nothing was amiss and therefore would not get involved despite repeatedly stating both RM Fraud and the police were now involved. Their customer service is appalling. eBay refunded after several failed attempts, Again even giving then the police crime reference numbers, Royal Mail Fraud Ref numbers, both proving my case, they just refunded and never apologised for continuously saying I had the item, case closed.
    They are both as ruthless as the scammers.

game over, I’ll go without

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  7. John King

John King Well-Known Member

The main reason that I will never use EBay/PayPal. I will order items only if I can speak to someone at the other end or if I have used them before with full satisfaction

8. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Or purchased from the website of one of the reputable retailers who regularly advertise in AP? You can always email or telephone them and ask about the item you've found there. Unless 'sold for spares', the equipment has been checked by them. Dealing with stuff that is returned, or becomes the subject of a dispute, takes up much more time than checking it before sale. Guarantees offered are to cover the possibility that there is a fault they missed, and for your peace of mind when considering purchase. Retailers with decent websites will have secure online card payment arrangements too (look for the padlock symbol at the top left of the screen).