1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Chucking it in

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by Brian, Aug 13, 2020.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I'll be impressed if one of you shows me a phone pic that gets as close to cricketers as I can with a 400mm on crop sensor.
    (waits for someone to do just that)
    https://flic.kr/p/u8BZQp

2. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

no need, we’ll just zoom in and video the match in 4K, ;)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Zou likes this.
  3. pixelpuffin

I agree, but cameras have almost reached their pinnacle, phones have only just got going....

4. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

it's really horses for courses. Personally I have no use for lenses over 40/50mm full frame equivalent.

Zou likes this.
  5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Yep, totally agree. Shoot with whatever makes sense.

Zou likes this.
  6. EightBitTony

I don't necessarily agree with the first statement, and the second statement may be true, but unless computational photography can give me a 600mm equivalent focal length in a phone format, or they invent tiny lenses (yes, I've seen the articles) then there's always going to be a space for lenses and you need something to attach them to.

@Brian's shots are great, and the iPhone has an amazing camera.

7. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

@Brian's shots are great, and the iPhone has an amazing camera.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tony,but as you know the simple subjects I photograph don't really need any sort of sophisticated kit. Hence the iPhone with portability, waterproof factor and stealth. All make me think that the phone is the way to go......for me. ;)

8. pixelpuffin

If I’m perfectly honest, I think we are all tied up in hardware...isn’t that the job of marketing!

Fact is the subject is the most important thing. I’ve seen snide comments that belittle noise in pictures. Yet the picture content was nice.

I recall someone who used only the finest optics. Knew virtually all there was to know about exposure - yet I never saw a picture that “stopped me” not ever. Yes, technically they were pretty much flawless but the actual subject content was always unbelievably dull. Not just dull, but often so contrived, so incredibly cliche that I was always reminded that equipment has very little to do with producing incredible shots.

Smartphones in the hands of someone who has ‘a eye’ will always blow away the enthusiast who has all the gear.

There’s literally no escaping that fact.

it’s like saying a author needs a Parker pen to write books!

Zou, Brian and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  9. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Yet strangely nobody ever has to justify the cost of a smartphone - perhaps because they are on a monthly contract and have no idea of its real cost. Some of the ones reviewed in AP have a 'price' that is more than a new DSLR.

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Yes but a smartphone is generally not just bought as a camera. It is a mini computer that makes calls, acts as your diary, web browser, sat nav etc. And it may take decent photo's.

I always defend phones, I use mine a lot for photography (mainly because I always have it with me) but I'll be clear, I can't see me ever ditching my cameras for one.

Oh, I always have to justify the purchase of a phone. Normally why I keep my iPhones for many years before I upgrade.

EightBitTony and Zou like this.
  11. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

The 'price' of the smartphones that AP reviews, and deems to give acceptable images, always amazes me. Perhaps I'm not somebody who lets a mobile telephone rule their lives (I read recently that the service providers have said that, on average, smartphone users check theirs every 12 minutes). Like you I don't upgrade my mobile very often - I'm on my second phone since first getting my pay-as-you-go contract in 1999, and spend two or three pounds a year on outgoing calls. My recent mobile 'upgrade' was forced on me when the 1999 phone needed a new battery but it was obsolete and no longer available, so I now have one that does have a 'camera'. It's 480 x 640 pixel (0.3 megapixel) resolution which is adequate if I need to photograph a damaged car for an insurance claim, for example.

My mobile's main use appears to be to receive text messages as part of internet banking security procedures. Its screen will display about 20 characters.

12. pixelpuffin

Dream Police has summed it up perfectly. The camera is really a one trick pony - no one is disputing that for taking pictures it still reigns king. However there’s no escaping the fact that it’s not as portable as a phone.

Regardless if you are still using a DSLR or have moved over to CSC, you are still having to factor in how you carry your camera. I’m guessing many bring along a extra lens, for “just in case” moments should they arise. You may bring other photography paraphernalia in which case a bag of some sort is useful to hold it all, keep it safe....protected.

Smartphones more than anything else, bring freedom. That is their No1 attraction, yes we know that direct comparisons to your “proper cameras” will highlight the smartphones failings, we are acutely aware, but for our task in hand they perform superbly.

Given the choice of wandering around in public with either a top phone or top camera...I’ll take the phone. Given the same choice of taking action sports I’ll grab the camera.

horses for courses

13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Well I replace mine more often than that. Perhaps every 4 years or so (my last one was an iPhone 6 now on an XR) but I use it a lot. Calls, texts, internet, music in my car and out and about through earbuds. I wouldn’t want to be without a phone.

14. pixelpuffin

Let’s not kid ourselves
    Let’s not be coy

The only reason for the success of Fuji/Olympus CSC is because they hark back to a time when photography was simpler, they invoke the feelings of how we remember photography used to be before the advent of big bulky dslrs. If we were truly honest and admitted that looks were a major attraction, that promises of smaller lighter lenses would allow us to condense our carry kit and yet would still deliver superb image quality.

So, let me ask this, if CSC’s were not so gorgeous, the lens bloom not so stunning, the materials and craftsmanship not so beautiful would you really have made the change? Be honest!!

Phones can’t do that, their cameras take up less room than the CSC eye cups!! Yet they are by far and away the number one image capture device.

There’s no getting away from the fact that cameras like the modern Fuji's and Olympus are stunning, manufacturers aren’t stupid, they realised they would need to offer something incredible to hook dslr users....Like a femme fatale, she just caught your eye!
    Yet ponder this, it’s the phone that can control the camera, that can make it do as it wishes. The camera just became its slave!!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  15. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I must be alone in preferring to use a camera. I like an ipad for internet and mail. A phone is too small to see for those.

Learning likes this.
  16. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Nope. And I prefer a 19" Lenovo AiO for working on.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Fujis look good, but leave me cold. Olympus CSCs look good but are fiddly AF (and that's not 'autofocus'). My Sony is not a looker but it does the job. Smaller than many fixed lens compacts with its 16-50 pancake zoom, but APS-C sensor. Use like point and shoot or with an adapted lens enjoy the focus peaking and easy handling. So I think your basic premise is incorrect. I - and likely many others - changed for convenience, not blindly following a trend.

EightBitTony likes this.
  18. pixelpuffin

I did the swap a few years ago, got caught up in the mirrorless movement - went the Panasonic route. Sold my entire EOS system tried several body’s and several lenses...soon realised my mistake, sold the lot and returned to canon. Yes, big, bulky and heavy, but it gets the job done. However besides sports and occasional macro (very very occasional) it sees no other use. My iPhone and sometimes compact (travel zoom) document family life, places visited etc etc. My phone is old (SE 1st gen)
    I won’t be buying another camera. Next purchase will be either phone or drone (will no doubt buy both) but can’t envisage either until 2021. I’m currently content.
    I will not be doing the CSC swap again, just not going to happen.

19. EightBitTony

I'm not sure you're a good example of a typical owner. The number of times you've bought stuff, got rid of it, and then re-bought it, in the time since you joined the forum must be unusual in the real world.

Learning likes this.
  20. pixelpuffin

I think you’re mistaken Tony
    Besides the M43 hiccup I’ve been a canon user since the early 90’s. in fact 6 yrs ago I didn’t even own a dslr! Just a box full of old unused ef zooms and a eos600 from my college years.
    From 97-2007 I never took any pictures except with my partners compact.
    From 2007 until around 2015 I made do with a Sony cyber shot compact, it was bought to take pictures of our new son. ‘Twas only a work colleague that constantly nagged me to go urbexing with him that brought about buying the used 5d! And that was only because I wouldn’t have to buy crop lenses.
    Yes, got bored and got sucked in and built up a newer ef lens system, got caught in the mirrorless madness and sold it all - realised the huge error, sold it and bought back into canon.

Admittedly the Leica kit I bought for myself I n 97 was always there unused, unloved ( hated it) until I sold it a few years ago, still have the Rollei 2.8F tho’

Again I got carried away buying lenses and bodies over the past 2 years, more out of boredom than need, deciding which would work better for me. Had intended to drastically cull my kit this year then got hit by eBay scammers last month. Off eBay now, Will never return!! no real way to sell without losing money, so it will sit in a box until should a urge come to go out and take snaps. But, rest assured I won’t be the sado that wanders around trying to prove I must be a real photographer as “ look “ I carry all this gear....look at me everyone!!
    No, I’ll leave that for the anals. And today in 2020 it REALLY is seen as a little anal by many. God forbid you are middle aged male out walking alone in public with big lenses as that is apparently just creepy so I’ve been told by female co workers.
    Who the hell wants to be tarred with that..no ta.