1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Chucking it in

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by Brian, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I don't post a lot on this forum. So for those younger than Methuselah a brief background check.

Ex RAF photographer, Fellowship thing a few hundred years ago, Leica, Rollei, Hasselblad. Love printing, dislike colour and only photograph people and environmental portraits. Hate DSLRs, can't afford current Leica so a few years ago went down the Fuji route. Currently 5 bodies and nine lenses although apart from the X Pro 2 +23mm f2 they hardly get used. But as I mentioned printing b/w is me thing. Currently have an Epson SC P700 and a SC P 600 the later on a continuous ink supply.

So to come to the point.

Birthday and my wife bought me an Apple iPhone 11.

This is without doubt the answer to the street photographers dream. So I am seriously considering chucking out the Fuji stuff

The combination of Apple 27" Retina 5000k, Spyder ,Epson SC P700 with raw capture on the iPhone 11 can produce the most amazing prints. I can carry it in my trousers pocket on a wrist strap, nobody takes any notice of it, I really think it's the dogs danglies.

[​IMG]by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

My wife who started it all.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I’d hang onto the Fuji gear until the novelty of the phone camera has worn off. Then you can decide.

3. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

At my time of life waiting isn't really an option.

And of course I like photographing in the rain and the iPhone 11 isn't just weatherproof its waterproof ie tests at 50' for half an hour, only fault speakers became slightly muted. So a rainy afternoon on Brighton sea front should not prove a difficulty.

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

You're just an old fart who can't let go... oh, hang on... maybe not!

I wish I could get you to talk to my mother, who I swear deliberately has poor relations with anything technical so she can ignore it.

Brian likes this.
  5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I’d sell the XT-2 to me with a couple of lenses at a jaw dropping discount, before I pull the trigger on an XT-3. I’m sold on Fuji.

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Heresy!

Mind you, it might get this sub-forum moving, especially with the inclusion of some decent pics...

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

He's got some good Canon gear too. They did say that the new website would have a market place!

Craig20264 likes this.
  8. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Bit difficult with the lockdownn However I did wonder about the low light performance so.......

Apple iPhone 11

[​IMG]by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

Fuji XE 3

[​IMG]untitled (6 of 6) by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  9. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I’m a bit surprised given your history and your enthusiasm for Fuji equipment, but if the iPhone meets your needs, as it does for most of the population, then so be it.

I would hold on to some of the Fuji equipment just in case.

I trust your collection of fine old cameras is still intact.

Brian likes this.
  10. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

If the iPhone dose everything you want now and in the foreseeable future, then stick with it. It's perhaps the modern version of the classic 35 mm compact camera with a 35/40 mm lens, as made by all the Japanese manufacturers decades ago.

I suspect that, like any camera, the results depend more on the person using it than the manufacturers will ever admit.

11. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I completely get where you are coming from Brian
    Phones are like jeans, universal, practical and convenient whereas “proper” cameras are like our Sunday best.
    Stating that here in the vipers nest may be a mistake.
    I too think many here feel threatened and need to justify their outlay thus becoming defensive.
    If I had to start over again, without a doubt I would still have the dslr plus zoom for sports. But for day to day shots the iPhone 11 Pro would be my first choice.
    I don’t get the fixation that a “proper” camera = real photography.

Ridiculous mindset

Zou likes this.
  12. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I quite agree. The trouble is we photographers are inclined to take everything too seriously. Now I need some fun, the phone is great and it seems naughty.

[​IMG]untitled (1 of 2)-Edit-3 by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

Just some clutter on the window cill, wretched Covid seems so long ago that I could get out and take my snaps.

Fen and daft_biker like this.
  13. pixelpuffin

I’ve been questioning the obsession with cameras for quite some time. My young son (13) and even young work colleagues (mid 20’s) see it as a tragic!

I really really dislike being out in public with a camera these days - I’m fine doing sons soccer shots. But being out in public makes me very uncomfortable. I often feel like I’m still living in the past and need proper cameras and specific lenses, yet I then remember my earliest memories of being out taking pictures, I honestly didn’t give a damn about the camera I was too fixated on taking snaps. Where did all the fun go? It’s partly the reason I gave up buying/reading photo mags 20yrs ago. The constant push from marketing to make you feel you needed better, it just saps all the fun out.
    Now my expensive kit is hardly used, yet I constantly “see” pictures when I’m out and sometimes record them using my phone.
    It’s just occurred to me that virtually every memorable picture I’ve taken was either using a a tiny Sony compact or my phone. I have nothing (except soccer shots) to justify the £10k+ of canon gear that’s sits unused in the spare room.

yes, tragic is probably the correct term.

I bet you feel liberated!

14. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

your wife is a very clever lady, she knows exactly how to keep you onside and amused.
    An Iphone 11 was a master stroke.
    Have you sorted the raw file work flow yet?

15. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

Although phones are now highly capable as picture taking machines I'd never consider getting rid of my cameras.
    Phones just don't have enough hardware to play with, they're like point & shoot or bridge cameras, no fun at all even if completely competent.

16. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Hi Terry yes she is.

Yes I did thank you. I got rid of LR Mobile and installed Halide Camera, non problems just does what it says on the tin.

17. pixelpuffin

Can I ask what you take pictures of, that makes a proper camera justified. I’m actually keen to know. If we have a family day out and I see someone with “proper cameras” I can’t help but watch....usually they take exactly the same picture from the exact same viewpoint as those nearby using their phones....infact it’s the phone user that gets low down.

Each to their own and all that.

18. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

Practically anything & everything.
    Motor sport, airshows & wildlife are all things I don't think a phone would handle well, but they also don't let me stick random lenses on to see how they render, they don't record IR (several of my cameras do).
    But mainly it's not so much the results but the process that makes a proper camera important to me.

I had about 10 years after going digital that I hardly took any shots in that time, when I could eventually afford a DSLR the fun came back.

19. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I can't recall ever seeing that response on this forum. Most of us shoot using our phones when that's what we're carrying.

20. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Today I was out shooting a Black Lives Matter demo, mix of wide shots from a long way off, up close 35mm and 200mm portrait shots. A mobile phone would not have gotten many of the shots I did with a camera but it would have been okay for some of them. No one camera serves every purpose, and mobile phone cameras are no different.