1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Chopper

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by obeque, Oct 28, 2014.

1. obeque

obeque Active Member

2. Jaykun85

Jaykun85 Member

wow that is a lovely photo :)

3. TallDan76

TallDan76 Active Member

Nice photo, to me it could be improved by getting all of the heli-pad in the image?

Is good all the same :)

Dan

4. AlexDenny

AlexDenny Well-Known Member

I quite like it with the helipad cropped out altogether, so it looks like a capture of the chopper over the sea (cheating, but a good effect...)

5. tonycro

tonycro Well-Known Member

offshore installation and the sea is calm ! I've been a few times and it was never that clear n calm !

I like it with the helideck, makes it clear why its flaring and the wheels down -

toy.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Nicely blurred rotor, good context. As stated above losing the helipad gives a different shot.

7. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Yes but, as Tony says, it's obviously in landing mode with the wheels down and flared.

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

9. turbulentwheat

turbulentwheat Well-Known Member

an excellent shot, crisp and clear.

10. obeque

obeque Active Member

Here's two other shots that I think cover what people wanted to see
    Thanks for the feedback
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

First one is a lovely shot.

If I was really nit-picking I'd say that it might be slightly better if you'd pointed slightly more to the right, to put the rotor head on the top right third, and include all of the helideck.

The last two are nice records, but they don't have the same level of drama.

Cropping the bottom off to leave just the chopper flying over the see would just look all wrong, I think.

12. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

Ahhh! the paraffin budgie rules; how often I yearned to be on the fog-delayed S61 only to be 'bumped' by a medi-vac after three weeks offshore.

Your Number One is tilted, and when you crop after straightening, chop off the extraneous triangle of structure bottom left. Choppers look better now than when I went to work, staring through the elongated rivet holes in the groaning airframe skin.....

Nice take, did you get Shell permission to publish? Only polite, really.

13. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Great picture. I completely disagree with those who want the whole landing pad in. Letting part of the picture "bleed out" of the frame almost invariably adds immediacy and tension: including it all would move the shot towards a dull PR shot. It's too good to be a dull PR shot, but it would be a lot less good if it were a relentlessly literal get-it-all-in picture. In other words, you got it exactly right: ignore those who say otherwise.

I would however make one criticism: the title. I really was expecting a dull, "arty" picture of an axe (in which case I'd probably have made no comment). It's not a "twee" or "clever" title, both of which are all too popular on this forum, but I've always preferred "caption" titles, such as "Helicopter landing [wherever]".

Edit: Oh, and the horizon is very slightly tilted -- presumably because you aligned the bottom of the picture with the edge of the landing pad.

Cheers,

R

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  14. obeque

obeque Active Member

Thanks for the feedback its all appreciated and taken onboard

As for Shells' approval I wasn't allowed to bring the camera out without approval and you have to have a permit to use it outside the accommodation too, the only time they got up tight was a colleague putting one on the BBC website when the weather was bad and that was another company complaining because it was their barge along side in the shot

15. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

I can imagine - why not send your shot(s) in to the Shell publicity, they like good ones for the magazine. Certainly up to standard (levelled).

On gas platforms (Leman, Inde etc) used to have to convince the lead techy that there was no electrics, mechanical only, even on survey. Wouldn't work now in this digital age!

16. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Works well with the helipad.
    I think the horizon needs a bit of levelling, but otherwise a great shot, rather than a simple record of a helicopter.

17. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Obeque, Have you got a permit to use your camera offshore? If so, did you have any problems obtaining it? If not, Oh Dear! ;)

18. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

See post 14, Bawbee!

Adrian