1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Chinon Lens

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by colindavis, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Of all my collection of old SLRs, the MX gets used the most - the fact that I can carry the camera in a pocket (with the pancake lens fitted) and a three lens kit with no problems at all go some way towards explaining it, the rest is simply down to it being an excellent machine.

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I have a slightly scruffy black one picked up from a charity shop for peanuts. Works fine too though the lack of shutter speed indicator is a bit of a pain. It came with a 50mm f2 (a Takumar SMC IIRC) and I have also managed to lay my hands on a 28mm Tokina (in superb condition) as well as a 200mm F4 Pentax.

Personally I find it a bit small so wouldn't want to use it all the time...

PS forgot to mention I also have a Super Panagor 35-105mm which is built like a tank and seems surprisingly capable for a lens that cost £2 from an RNLI jumble...

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I've got an f2.8 version with manual aperture which is rather nice. Would you say the 3.5 is better?

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

In a word, yes.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

B*gger.......

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Doesn't mean the other one's bad, though!

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

It does produce a nice bit of quality for sure.

Is the 3.5 sharper then? I have two old Nikkor 135s and I reckon the 3.5 version is a touch sharper than the 2.8...... it's certainly a lot smaller...

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's a bit sharper, but I just prefer the overall look from the f3.5 lens.

9. colindavis

colindavis Well-Known Member

How would you rate the SMC A F2 50mm.I have one and it works quite well with the K10. I'm trying to lay my hands on a F1.7 too.

Colin

10. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

The 50mm f2 is a good lens, but is a "budget" version and not as crisp at wider apertures as the f1.7. The f1.4 exhibits higher contrast, as you might need with a lens intended for low light situations. The f1.2 is fairly good wide open, controls point light sources extremely well, and is as good as any when stopped down.
    These comments apply equally well to the M and A series lenses. The f1.2 is of course a K or A series.
    The Spotmatic era 50mm lenses are of a slightly different character and reach their best at f8-11 as opposed to around f5.6-8 for the more recent lenses. They also look different, but the effect is subtle and I think would be missed entirely in a web image.
    Hope that helps!

11. colindavis

Thanks John

Colin

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

What John said. I have the f2 as well as the f1.7, but never use it as it has no advantage at all over the slightly faster lens. Certainly not terrible, though.

13. johnriley1uk

The f2 I tested out-performed the kit 18-55mm by about f8, so it's certainly very respectable and indeed not at all terrible.

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I can quite believe that. It's at the middle-lower end of the 50mm lenses I own IMHO, but that still makes it a very decent lens - if it was the only one I had, I would be more than happy - I'm not trying to suggest it's a poor lens at all.

15. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I have a book published in 1972 'Asahi Pentax Guide' by W.D. Emanuel (The Focal Press). This covers the following:
    SL, Spotmatic 500, Spotmatic, Spotmatic II, Nocta, Asahi Pentax, Pentax K, S1 (H1), S2 (H2), Super S2, S1a, S3 (H3) and the SV. No mention of the MV.

Can someone post a picture of it, I'm interested to see it.

16. colindavis

Well I have been out and about with the Chinon. Being manual of course I have had to press the old hand held meter into action. Certainly seems to produce a reasonable picture. Pretty good feeding the K10 metered shutter speeds for f2.8.Having to bracket a bit more moving up to f8 and beyond. I think it might make a useful portrait lens. Will play around with it some more. I's certainly a little heavier than the modern lenses I am used to. Feels bomb proof!

Colin :D

17. johnriley1uk

The MV is part of the ME series which did not appear until after your book was published. Finished all in black, it looks just like any ME type camera. Try www.bdimitrov.de for an image, I'm sure there will be one there.

18. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Yes, it was there. Thanks.

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I have my dad's old Pentax MG with the SMC 50mm f2. I ran a few films through it, but everything looked really soft, so I stopped using it, until I decided to convert it to a pinhole with a low-tech piece of black card.

Would the lens be the only reason for softness, or could it be a shutter/other issue? I'm hoping that because it is such a lovely lens to handle, I'd like to feel confident using it.

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Shouldn't be really soft unless there's a problem with it.