1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Chestnut blossom

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by RogerMac, May 22, 2020.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

HORSE CHESTNUT 800.JPG

Afraid this one has a story attached:
    My wife, not being able to go to a card shop, decided that what she really needed was a new insert to a card that someone had sent her for her birthday last year. so she commissioned be to upgrade an old one by removing and I went on my morning wald g the insert and creating another. The format of the card dictated a vertical layout a copy of the result is attached I have straightened if and brought the saturation up a little but apart from that it is as shot. I know RM will suggest darkening (or even cloning out) the OOF blossom on the RHS and he may well be right.

I printed the insert of posh paper from Fotospeed and it came up brilliantly perhaps better than on screen. Comments welcome.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It is a bit close to the LHS. Better if you had moved to exclude the bare area to the RHS and centre the blossom in the frame. To my eyes the saturation is a bit high but sometimes you need that for the print.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Yes I think that it is oversaturated for the screen but it really jumped out of the paper print, thanks for the comment. Interestingly it was best when I told the printer I was using plain paper, when I told the printer the correct paper if seemed a little duller. Probably the printer used rather more ink in the early copy.

4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Getting saturation and exposure right for a printer can be a PITA. I have had some shots come back looking like they were taken at midnight in a coal cellar, when they look bright on screen.
    If it works, great. Cards are all about the thought, not technical stuff.

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Do you mean blossoms on the LHS? I'm rather less concerned with them than with the big grey patch on RHS, which I think spoils it. Could just about crp that out, but it does get very tight.

And the over saturation reminds me of Velvia. It's well OTT.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

OTT indeed but I think the issue is, having prepared for print, not making a copy and soft-proofing for sRGB. I must admit that I never do so but I print from soft-proofed copies not originals .