1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheese

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John King, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Ooh, not had that for years and years. Lovely stuff.

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Spike, my grandson, loves Red Windsor, and has done so since the age of 5. He's 18 now

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Sounds like an alternative world in which Windsor is a communist haven. Nice.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  4. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

That's if British farmers even survive being sold out to crap cheap US imports in a trade deal . Eventually there will be no subsidies to farmers in the UK, nor will there be regional funds as supplied by the EU. Lincolnshire where I live is already struggling and we are expecting real contraction in trade and investment at the end of 2020 onwards, and that's without Covid.

ascu75 and steveandthedogs like this.
  5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Which I like for melting on burgers I have some in the fridge right now along with mature cheddar, Wensleydale, Brie and Red Leicester I do like my cheeses although I can't stand anything that smells of old socks apart from a white stilton occasionally

Favourite cheese is probably Gubeen but I am also partial to Edam and most other non stinky cheeses and have a nostalgic fondness for Dairylea triangles

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Ah. Nostalgia. Dairylea triangles were not bad cheese. They couldn't be bad cheese because they weren't really cheese. They melted nicely on toast and I liked them as a kid of an age that would have found my present cheese tastes disgusting.

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Same here. I use cheese like chocolate, so open the packet, and then when I'm passing the fridge and feeling peckish I open the cheese (usually by unfolding the folded over bag), break a bit off with my fingers, and re-fold the bag. Don't get any mold.

8. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

A few years ago a cheese stall on the market had Red Windsor amongst their other wares. This was, however, the real stuff! Not beetroot juice or whatever but real port wine.......just a whiff and I was convinced I had to buy a chunk. That stuff was potent!

spinno likes this.
  9. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Is Red Windsor supplied to Harry by Royal Appointment?

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The only time of the year we ever have a problem with cheese growing mould is at Christmas, and then only if we get several presents of it, as we end up with more than we can eat - and then it's only the softer cheeses. It's simply not an issue here apart from that.

In terms of silly customer cheese stories, last year we were in the market in our favourite small, very friendly town in Turkey. A British customer went up to one of the two cheese stalls - I won't describe her, other than to say she looked all too like a stereotype of a certain kind of British holidaymaker. Well OK, grossly overweight, bright red, on a mobility scooter and covered in very bad tattooes - the kind that were just like a big muddy mess. "Got any Cheddar?" she asked, and simply couldn't understand why they didn't even understand the question.
    We went next, got some olives and a couple of cheeses, and spotted a cheese simply described as "Old" in Turkish. We asked to try a bit, and sure enough, it tasted similar to a very strong, very mature Cheddar. Lovely stuff. "A bit like Cheddar", I said, and the stallholder laughed. I somehow doubt that the previous customer would have liked it, though.

11. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

On leaving school, I worked for a short time in a Home & Colonial shop. Little lad came in one day clutching a few bob and peered up at me from below the counter and said "A quarter of caterpillar cheese please". I gave him Caerphilly and he went home happy.

Learning, AndyTake2 and Footloose like this.
  12. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

When people here are buying Cheddar cheese - or indeed any of the other 'hard' English cheeses, are these the Farmhouse type, or far more common Block cheeses?

I always look out for Farmhouse-produced cheese, which should always have a rind, (with the imprint of the cheesecloth it was produced and left to mature in) and not sealed in 'wax', because this prevents the bacteria from breathing. I have a copy of Patrick Rance's paperback 'The great British cheese book', (He also published another highly acclaimed version, relating to French cheeses, which I've never encountered) which much annoyed the Milk Marketing Board, that was heavily promoting block cheese production which in/directly killed off many of the small Farm-based cheese producers.

13. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

At the moment, I buy Block "cheddar", normally the "Matured" variety, but currently, it's the "Mild" version, as I couldn't find "Mature" in a large block. I think I've only seen real cheese in one of the artisan type shops where their prices remind me that I'm not a high earner! Decades ago I used to seek out Lancashire cheese, easy enough to find in Lancashire (my birth county) or Cheshire (where I grew up) but very rare in normal shops & supermarkets in Herts & Bucks. When occasionally I have found it, I wasn't impressed by the hygiene on the cheese nor bacon counters - I'm thinking of Sunday morning farmers' markets.

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Both. Block cheese primarily for cooking, Farmhouse for eating.

Learning likes this.
  15. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I was driving from Cherbourg to Blankenberg with a client one very hot summer and he insisted in stopping off at Pont L'Eveque to buy a cheese. It was well wrapped up in plastic and went in the boot.

By the Belgian border the smell inside the car was so bad, we had to stick our heads out of the windows to breathe. Not far over the border, he gave in and dumped it.

Mark101 likes this.
  16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Do they roast their own coffee? I remember two or thee places that many years ago sold loose cheese, ham(cooked and raw), and shop roasted coffee beans. The combined aroma was wonderful.

17. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Despite being a coffee-drinking nation, the Cypriots appear to bring the coffee in from Greece, ready to go. I cannot recall smelling the roasting and grinding smells here ever - which is a shame as it is the best part of the entire operation. After those smells, the drinking part is a complete letdown - IMO, of course!

Catriona likes this.
  18. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Thailand's 'interesting' coffee and tea-wise, since for milk, they invariably provide Carnation condensed milk ....

19. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I had forgotten Dairylea triangles I hope I can find some online :rolleyes:

20. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

The other day I had a nostalgic urge for a tube of Primula with shrimp. No idea if it is still sold though.