1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheese

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John King, Sep 25, 2020.

1. John King

John King Well-Known Member

As a mere male, have any of the female members or skilled cooks on the forum any idea how to stop cheese going mouldy (apart from the obvious answer - eat it quicker)

Principally I eat, cheddar, Cheshire or Lancashire which are my preferred varieties. I don't eat a lot, but if it is left for a few days it can resemble a petri dish in Covid vaccine laboratory. I can cut or scrape it away but that's wasting it.

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

1) avoid touching it at all costs.
    2) Get a great cheese container (?Lakeland) to hold all your cheese. It has a carbon filter at the top.
    3) Remove any clingfilm if that is what it was wrapped in.
    Use greaseproof paper instead.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/5073/Tef...yu0MaE7AIVT83tCh2jbA09EAQYASABEgJ7n_D_BwE:G:s

Above is worth every penny.

ascu75 and Geren like this.
  3. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Never had this problem although that could be down to the fact I eat a lot of cheese I am devouring a sandwich made with white sourdough bread and a lot of M&S Brie even as I type this

ascu75 likes this.
  4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Plastic wrapping kills cheese once it's open. Usually wrap ours in greaseproof.

Learning and Catriona like this.
  5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Great is the correct descriptor. It would occupy half of a shelf in my fridge. David has the answer for modest amounts of cheese.

6. Catriona

It's worth it if you have a selection of cheeses. It does keep them very well. However, it's all a matter of choice.

7. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I always remove the packaging and keep cheeses in an airtight container in the fridge. I always wash the container then spray with Surface Dettol and make sure it's bone dry. Never ever experienced mould on cheese even after a week or more. The point about touching cheese is valid, so always wash your hands well prior to handling food.

Catriona and ascu75 like this.
  8. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I keep my supermarket basic cheese (normally mature cheddar) in the main compartment of my 40+ year old fridge, where the temp stays around 4-7degC - after I modified the position of the thermostat - and I do check the thermometer. I keep the cheese in the wrapping as supplied, and after opening. I live alone, so the fridge door stays closed. The cheese seems to last well (over several weeks) without any of the precautions listed above. I do wash my hands before preparing food. I rarely buy "exotic" cheeses, so perhaps I have fewer cheese friendly spores in my kitchen?

Catriona likes this.
  9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Cheese in our house, in its original but opened, plastic bag keeps for ages in the fridge. If it gets a bit mouldy I scrape it off but I can’t remember any ever getting so bad that it had to be binned. Where on earth are you keeping it? The whole point of cheese is that it doesn’t “go off”.

EightBitTony likes this.
  10. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

What a friend we have in cheeses...

11. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Now I never even thought of greaseproof paper! I have most of a roll left over after my quite successful (even if I say so myself) attempts at making Xmas Cake(s) a few years ago.
    Like the last post I have always kept it in the fridge in a covered dish. Because I cannot eat a lot of it a 250gm of very mature cheddar (I like a strong flavour) will last for just over a week before it starts to develop a fur coat. The Cheshire and Lancashire are better than the cheddar but I find they tend to go dry quite quickly - especially the Cheshire.

Catriona likes this.
  12. Catriona

I imagine the cheddar is drier than the Cheshire, so perhaps less of a breeding ground for bacteria. Try the greaseproof paper and when cutting the cheese, keep you hand on the paper not the cheese. Might be good to check the fridge temperature too and make sure it is running cold enough. Keep in the fridge in a different place from where you do now? Some areas can be damper than others.

13. Mark101

Years ago when visiting places like David Greg's and British Home Stores, it was quite normal to ask for a specific weight of cheese, which was cut using a cheese wire, and then wrapped very neatly in greaseproof paper. Oh how times have changed.

I love to get my cheese from Neals Yard in London, and they do mail order.

Just spotted this https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/apr/19/whats-the-best-way-to-store-cheese

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Catriona likes this.
  14. Catriona

I recall fondly a small shop in Hillingdon who sliced the cut of bacon you wanted and wrapped it the same way. I always like the collar cut for bacon or joints. In my young day in Devon I used to buy a hand and spring and bone it myself. I got loads of different meals from it, from roasted to hamburgers at the end.

As for cheese? I do think it has more moisture in it now (as does bacon and ham). Cheese used to simply go rock hard, not mouldy.

15. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Especially in Little Baby Cheeses

ascu75, Catriona, AndyTake2 and 2 others like this.
  16. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

How sexist!

EightBitTony likes this.
  17. Catriona

We've gpt to be good for something! ;)

ascu75 likes this.
  18. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

My favourite supermarket over here, Sklavenitis, still does it this way. They have a cheese and preserved meats counter, where the ham etc. gets sliced and wrapped in a preservative type of paper, like the cheese. I would have to leave the cheese in the fridge for a year or two for it to get a fur coat.

Also worth mentioning - the people serving at those counters are always super-nice and helpful!

Learning and Catriona like this.
  19. Catriona

Our Good Food Boutique in Stornoway serves cheese that way too.

20. Mark101

Okay cheese lovers what's your favourite cheese ?

Mine is Chaource, which is a very creamy French unpasteurised cows mile cheese, but you can get pasteurised which has less flavour.
    • Produced in the Bourgogne region of France, Matured for a creamy smooth texture and mushroom flavour. An award winning cheese that is slightly salty and acidic with a soft, creamy texture. Similar to Camembert but even creamier, this Finest cheese is matured for at least 14 days and produced in mini wheels, making it an excellent appetiser. The site is in the heart of Burgundy, the AOC area. Also the burgundy area is well known for its wines production and homeland of a lot of well known chefs.
    • A mould ripened cheese from the Bourgogne region, expertly matured for a slightly salty earthy flavour with a nutty aroma.
    For cheese I do shop when able at https://www.nealsyarddairy.co.uk/?g...K9fBsfX97YsMeX_crlmPXbwScbgybBWMaAmHTEALw_wcB