1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest way into digital?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by tazio35, Oct 22, 2007.

1. tazio35

tazio35 Well-Known Member

Newby post. I have a Pentax ME Super and a Praktica MTL5B and various lenses in either K mount or M42. I process my own film and edit on my laptop.

I'd like to move to digital (at least some of the time) and have noticed how much the lower end Pentax and Samsung DSLRs have dropped recently. The Samsung GX-1L seems to be the cheapest Pentax fit around at the moment, but appears to only be available as a twin lens kit. Is this the equivalent of a Pentax K110D or an *ist DL2? Can it be had with only a standard lens?

Any other suggestions that I haven't thought of?

Thanks.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I bought my K100D in August for £300 with 18-55mm kit lens and a free case. Try ringing around to see if anyone still has stock before the K100D Super fully replaces it. Even cheaper would be the K110D if you can find one. AFAIK the GX-1L is an *ist, not a K110D clone.

3. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

Samsung only list the two models of the GX1 (L&S) and the GX10. I'd assume that the 2 versions of the GX1 equate to the K110 (no shake reduction) and K100. Either way they are basically the same as the Pentax, so a worthwhile buy.
    My local Curries had the Pentax for under £300 last time I was in there.

4. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

GX-1L = *istDL
    GX-1S = *istDS

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Jacobs list the Samsung GX-1S with standard zoom at £249.99, if that is any help.

6. tazio35

Is the S a 'better' camera than the L? Also, how does an *ist differ from a K110D?

7. johnriley1uk

The *istDS has a proper glass pentaprism finder rather than the penta-mirror of the *istDL. As such, it gives a brighter, clearer viewfinder image. I think that is an advantage. The viewfinder is one of the best available, and IMHO much better than Canon or Nikon.

The K110D and K100D are the new series, very similar, but introducing SDHC cards, SR, and in the K100D Super Dust removal as well.

Frankly I would be happy with any of them and I enjoyed my *istDS very much, although I have now moved to the K10D.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

No shake reduction in the K110D remember. By the way, the SR really does work amazingly well, even with my old lenses. :D

9. tazio35

Yes, I'd like shake reduction really, but it's all a lot more expensive than buying a £25 camera from ebay...

(That said, I've had the Praktica for 20 years from new.)

Are the K100 family penta-mirror?

10. offertonhatter

offertonhatter Active Member

K100D is a Penta Mirror rather than a Penta Prism.

I still have my *istDS as well as my K10D and love both. the DS is normally my backup body,although sometimes (like at lunch at work) I will take my DS due to its smaller size.

11. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

If you can afford the better beody, you may save money in the long run. If digital grabs you, you will soon want the better features offered by the more expensive bodies. This may tempt you to upgrade early on, spending more money. Think it through before you decide.

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

For a photographer who knows what he/she is doing, a 'lesser' body is quite sufficient for most purposes. The 'better' models offer more megapixels (nice, but hardly relevant unless printing HUGE sizes), a faster burst rate and deeper buffer, and a load of fairly useless 'features' like saturation bracketing. Stick with a cheaper body and buy better glass to put on it. [/rant] ;)

13. johnriley1uk

I agree up to a point. The K10D does make significantly better A3 prints than my *istDS did.

In terms of handling, I prefer the *istDS.

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It also has dust/weather sealing. As far as I am concerned, if it has a manual mode, allows manual focus and works with whichever lenses I stick on the front, I'm happy. ;)

15. tazio35

Yes, that's where I made a mistake with a Minolta 300si from ebay. Nice camera, bargain price, but no PASM modes, only scene modes.

How much of a limitation is the 6 megapixel sensor in practice? My printer doesn't go bigger than A4 anyway...

Have just realised that my M42 28-70 zoom doesn't have a manual setting - that's not going to work on a K mount digital body, is it?

16. johnriley1uk

If you only print to A4 a 6MP camera will be fine. You could still make very nice A3 prints later on if you need to. The 10MP resolution does produce better prints, but it would only really be noticed if you were looking for it, or comparing prints side by side.

In lower light levels, 6MP produces less noise, so there are potential advantages.

17. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

For A4 6Mp is easily enough I reckon. I still have a 3.2Mp Canon D30 and that can deliver quality A4 prints. This means that you can even crop the 6Mp image quite heavily and still have enough left to get a good print.

18. tazio35

Are all the 6Mp sensors used from the *istD up to the K100D the same? Or have significant improvements been made along the way?

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think the sensors are the same, but the chances are that the processing engines are very different.

20. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

^^What Nick said^^