1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap colour Fuji film

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by neilt3, Jan 24, 2018.

1. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Just a heads up if anyones after stocking up .
    Not as cheap as the Poundland £1 Agfa film , but Firstcall Photographic have got Fujifilm C200 , 24 exposure 35mm film on offer at £1.50 per roll .
    The film is dated as April 2018 , so they are having a clear out .
    Worth getting if you want to stock up .
    http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/fujifilm-c200-135-24-iso-200/p1055

peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Poundland do not appear to stock the Agfa film now. Anything dated April 2018 will keep a while anyway, particularly if stored in the fridge.

3. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

No , they stopped doing film last year , which is a shame .
    They reckoned there's no profit in it , at £1 a roll I'm not supprised .
    You couldn't complain at £1 , and they had a place just around the corner from my house .

I've had quite a bit off stuff of Firstcall photographic , film , paper , chemicals and other things so get an email every so often with new products on it of offers .
    I'm placing an order with them shortly to get stocked up on 120 film and darkroom supplies , chems etc so I will be adding some to my order .

A lot of the film I have , mostly 35mm B&W bulk rolls , is well out date , some of it's 20 years old !
    I just give it a bit extra exposure .
    Having some stuff from the current decade will be a nice change ! o_O

Don't know how much they've got , but if you need enough stuff for it to pay for the delivery (£7.99 IIRC) , it'll be worth stocking up .

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It depends on the price they are able to buy it in for of course. My view is they make the real profit on the rubbish that many buy on impulse, stuff they are paying literally coppers for and importing direct from China.

5. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Yes - and, of course, they (PoundLand) haven't really got the option of increasing their margin, by putting the price up! :)

This leads me on to a wider question regarding the PoundLand marque... i.e. what will they do as decades pass? For example, in 1988, 37p had the same value as £1 today. As time goes on, the price that they will have to pay for any item they sell will continue to rise, but they are caught in the trap that - by definition - everything must cost only £1 in their shops... which would mean ever-reducing margins.

Unless they are prepared to change their name, they surely must be forced out of business. If a similar rate of inflation occurs over the next 30 years, then they would need to have evolved into "TwoPoundSixtyEightLand";)... and presumably, would have had to rename the business several times in the interim.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I do hope you're not overthinking this....does Mr Smith still own his newsagency business?

peterba likes this.
  7. peterba

Well of course I'm over-thinking it! :p Don't we all do that on here...? ;):)

spinno likes this.
  8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be the same if we didn't would it?

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

For some reason I thought they'd already gone out of business, however their website is up and running and currently offering a toothbrush for £2. Which probably answers the question.

10. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

£2 ? For a toothbrush ?!
    They'll be going out of business at that rate !

The only reason I ever went in there was for the £1 rolls of film , but the last time I went in I noticed on one wall near the checkouts were goods priced at other than £1 .
    I think there was stuff from about £2 to £5 .
    All mostly tat , but what do you expect ?

Either way , I think there going down the route that it's Poundland because it's in multiples if £1 and not a Euro in sight .

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

They and Poundworld are, iirc, both owned by the same group of venture capitalists who bought Poundland from the original couple who started it years ago.

Most prices in both are £1, but there are exceptions for some goods. They also have a slightly different range of goods.

Also, Poundland is trying to replace as many of its staff with machines for the tills; Poundworld not so far.

12. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Hmm. I was struggling to get the stuff into my shopping basket, but eventually worked out that if I click on the tiny "Buy Now" button on the offers page, it will let me buy it. Adding to checkout from the item page, where I was looking at the stuff doesn't work...

Anyway, thanks, Neil, I've got some ordered plus a few other bits too. Hopefully I can find some film mojo - got a few ideas for the lakes in March for starters. I also have a lovely little Fed Mikron half-frame I want to try!

Adrian

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

In Japan the 100 yen stores were always fun as they had some great bargains alongside the inevitable tat. When you got to the till though it was 105 yen per item because sales tax wasn't included. This is now 8% so whilst still called 100 yen shops everything is 108, or more. I got a great ice cube tray for 500+tax a few years ago. Giant cubes which are perfect for chilled bourbon or other spirits. Never seen them here.

TL;DR version - name will remain whilst price increases.

EightBitTony and peterba like this.
  14. peterba

Zou, I can't believe you're suggesting that modern-capitalism would even entertain the notion of any company deceiving customers by retailing at prices which are at variance with its marketing... shame on you!! ;) ;) :D

Zou likes this.
  15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly there were moves by the Japanese government to crack down on the practice and only show prices inclusive of tax. Not sure if that ever happened though, I'll check next time I'm over.

peterba likes this.
  16. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

There was that time I went into the Z$1 store in Zimbabwe and bought some hair clips for Z$1,000,000 - oh how we chuckled.

[This didn't really happen]

Zou likes this.
  17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I remember when zloty and lira were endowed with a surplus of zeros. Those were the days eh...

18. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I went looking to refresh my memory before I made the post, at it's height, inflation was 79,600,000,000%

Proof if ever we needed it that currency is a figment of our imagination.

"The Z$10 billion would be redenominated to be Z$1"

Eventually, every civilisation fails.

peterba, Andrew Flannigan and Zou like this.
  19. peterba

So very true, Tony.

Zou likes this.
  20. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Oh how true that is. Wouldn't it be a nice idea if they tied the currency to a specific quantity of some relatively rare material - say gold. Then each paper note could represent that quantity and to keep the bankers honest they'd have to hand over that quantity of the material on demand. I know: we could call it something like - say - the gold standard! :cool: