1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap a100 if you don't mind silver

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by matty, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I Want one of them.............

2. arthurb

arthurb Well-Known Member

I have used Minoltas since 69/70 (SRT101s), and XD7s since the mid-80s with no problems at all - none, zilch. However I was a little worried that the newer ones might be less well built. But as you say there seems to be no mention of known problems on these threads, or others I use, no stories of the mirrors flying out of the bodies and decapitating passers-by, so I guess everything is ok. And yes, I agree, the electronics will probably give trouble first, possibly the sensor?? Thanks for your thoughts.

3. arthurb

Marc, and anyone else interested, the silver A100 seems fine. It all seems to work ok, and, although I have only shot about 100 frames around my home and garden, I am most pleased with the results. As expected the dynamic range is a little short, but much better than our Olympus compact (mju 800) and very usable. The handling is good, as I expected having handled (not used) a friend's A100, but...

I find digital cameras very critical of WB, not to say quirky, and I liked the idea (pace Olympus E500) of the one-shot (ie dedicated button) setting for WB (point at white target and press - WB set); it would be nice on the Alpha... However... I really do like the Function dial and button arrangement, especially as the associated info on the LCD can be read without me putting on my reading glasses - its very flexible, quite quick, and ... just good. The second command dial would be very, very welcome for me as I still tend to use Manual a lot (probably because I am a control-freak and an old, very old, fart). In Manual mode two dials make life faster and more positive. But, having said that, the Alpha's arrangements are ok.

I am tending to regard, initially at least, the A100 as a sophisticated and very flexible prosumer/bridge camera - a point and shoot with extra class and long-term growth potential; I will still continue to use film...

But... if anyone is looking here and wondering about the Silver A100 from Argos... it is a major bargain, no question.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I suspect that despite the apparent fragility of the thing it's probably no more liable to give up the ghost than any other part of the electronics...

The issue I suspect is going to be like most other electronic devices today in that once it does fail it will either be a) cheaper to buy a new item as repairing the existing one isn't economic or b) the item lasts long enough to outlive the guaranteed support period and parts are no longer available anyway.

Sadly, while I think it would be nice to think that we could still be using our current digitals 50 years down the line (a la Leica) I think we are all aware this ain't gonna happen...

FWIW my D30 is probably 5 or 6 years old, a veritable dinosaur digitally, but it still churns out good quality pictures (composition notwithstanding), admittedly this is hardly a great age compared to my ancient Nikons (and others) but a lifetime or more in modern terms... :D

5. ClevaTreva

ClevaTreva New Member

Well, I got mine before I read this thread, but I only paid £339 inc delivery. Works fine.

On the CCD. It obviously gets hot pixels (gamma rad damage?). As the month goes by, take a pic with the cap on. Open it in an editor. Select the black and invert the selection. A few pixels will not be black. Every month, on the first day you power it up, the A100 resets the CCD. It takes a bit longer than usual. So, if you get too many hot pixels (like after an air flight), just advance the date, power off/on, change the date back.

And don't forget to remove the inverted lens hood on the 18-70 lens and put it on the right way round! (It unscrews).

6. liamjames91

liamjames91 Well-Known Member

its still a very good camera for that price though!, just out of interest, *oh this is guna be fun* what type of silver is it? i mean, like a gun metal gray, or tacky silver? the photos on argos arent that good, and cant seem to find a good real life photo?

7. ClevaTreva

ClevaTreva New Member

Hi. It's a dark gun metal gray. However, Argos put the price up to £379, and Camera Center in Cardif dropped their price on eBay only to £399 inc a 2gb card for the black with the 18-70 lens (free delivery). I have seen the gray ones going for as little as £340 ish inc delivery on eBay, presumably Argos ones (Argos won't exchange them).

Just put a 266x CF2 card in from adata, cost me just over US$30 from China, came v quick and the camera does almost continuous shooting with it!

8. arthurb

Having previously described the 'silver' A100 as decidedly naff, and nowhere near as attractive as the black versions, I have to say that over the past couple of weeks or so I have softened my stance. The A100 displays two shades of 'silver': one is silverish, but the other is a darker shade, and could indeed be described as 'gun-metal'. The latter is not unattractive, but the lighter colour is still a bit naffish... altogether better than silver Canons though.

By the way ClevaTreva, are you American? What's all this about the Cardiff 'Camera Center', and describing the colour of the camera as 'gray'. Sorry - don't mean to upset you, but I hate to see US spelling finding its way into English (they speak American - we speak English). Mind you I don't much like their country either... grumble grumble...

9. ClevaTreva

ClevaTreva New Member

Hi Arthub

I tend to write many words in USeze because I code web sites and all the keywords (center, gray, etc) are spelled that way.

I lapse into both.

In any case, overall spelling is my problem, typing as fast as I do. I use Firefox and this spots the mistakes, but I have it set to US as well, for the same reason.

10. arthurb

I sympathise: when working at IBM in the 80s I sometimes had to work with the technical writers producing the manuals for a large software product. IBM insisted that they were written in American, and of course all the other stuff in the Labs was in English, and the tech writers found life a bit trying remembering which language they were using. It is however irritating that so much 'USeze' is finding its way into English. My wife is an English teacher in a secondary school, and many children start to argue that she is wrong!
    'But Miss, grey is spelt with an "a"'. aaaargh...

But then, I'm just a grumpy, anti-American old fart...