1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap 35mm film

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by gray1720, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

This thread has a lot to answer for! :D

I went digging in my film stock box, yesterday, and found some old Superia X-Tra 800 ISO...

[​IMG]

Given the expiry date of 2004, I thought it time to put some images on the film.

There was a roller skating demonstration in the town centre, which seemed an appropriate subject for high speed film. No way I was spending £10 on Boots colour processing for an experiment like this, so I dunked it in my rather muddy Perceptol for 10 minutes. I have to admit, when I hung it up to dry, I very much doubted I had anything.

Nevertheless, I stuck the roll in the illumitran and put the "digital negatives" through Photoshop Elements 11. Amazingly, I got something! It ain't pretty but it shows what you can do if you're determined (or daft) enough...

[​IMG]

2. Alphonso

Alphonso Well-Known Member

Thank you Grierson, That recommend is very useful. I had been trawling the Web, had spotted that
    firm.

A friendly recommend is worth a lot. I have just the one exposed Kodak T-Max 100 film to process, so I will investigate further. I was out and about yesterday ,with it being suitable light where I wanted to go. So i used up my film stock.
    I will have to look around for some more Kodak T-Max 400 film this time. I think that the finer grain will be better to digitise.
    I live in the Leeds area,so it is not a million miles away. from me, keep it in the family.

Alphonso

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The grain of TMax 400 is coarser than that of TMax 100.

Have you considered using either Ilford XP2 or Kodak TMax 400CN, which are black & white and are C41 process, as such are processed in the same chemistry as Colour Negative Films, so anywhere with a C41 line can handle them.

4. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Sadly, I think I remember hearing last year that Kodak were stopping production of 400CN, though there may still be some around. (Quick check) It seems tat Discount Films Direct and Mailshots both currently list it as in stock (135), to name but 2, although Silverprint don't seem to have it listed.

Discount Films Direct say "LAST FEW NOW DISCONTINUED BY KODAK".

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

You have turned into Kamepa and I claim my £5!

Adrian

6. Alphonso

Alphonso Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info. I have used XP2 in the past, I would think about 1999 ,it is that long ago I have forgotten about it.
    Remind me does it produce exactly the blacks & whites of normal film. If I remember the negs are a funny reddish tinge colour. I may be wrong.

Alphonso

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The negs have a reddish tinge, those from TMax 400CN much more so. Essentially they are what are termed chromogenic films, which use the same technology as colour negative films, but without the colour elements. As colour negs have some colour to the base so do these. This of course is lost when scanned or conventionally printed. The image is formed of dye clouds rather than silver, which helps the granularity, not necessarily the sharpness.

8. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

Failure of logic in the final para.
    Just because the tanker was branded Shell does not mean the content was the usual stuff sent to Shell garages.
    My former brewery employer used to use branded wagons to deliver other brews, and their own brews of various names with different recipes and names to third parties. Of course they all complied with food hygiene standards but were of differing tastes and strengths.

9. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

The tint on XP2 can vary quite widely. I think due to variations in dev & fix from lab to lab. I am also having increasing doubts about Ilford's quality control. But here's a thing: I used a yellow filter on my last roll of XP2 and on those frames, I got a distinct yellow tint!

10. nimbusadmin

nimbusadmin Administrator Forum Admin

Posting

11. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Good stocks of Agfa 200 135/24s in Poundland Canterbury on Tuesday last.

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Well SA has been well in the fixer for some time, but his old posts still have something to offer.
    If I was an artistic arty farty then I could suggest that this interesting texture was the start of a new genre.
    Since I am not an artistic arty farty, I will politely suggest that his efforts were brave. I won't put it stronger than that because he can't answer back.