1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap 35mm film

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by gray1720, Aug 1, 2014.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Boots are once again selling 5-packs of 24-exposure Fuji 200ISO film for £14.99, buy one get one half-price. Hardly pro-quality stuff, but if you can't find the legendary Poundland film...

Adrian

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the tip. I stocked up at Poundland and managed to get one roll of 400 ISO with some of the usual 200s. Quite a coup that but no 36-exps; they were all 24s. It is worth looking at Calumet from time to time as they sometimes have good deals on Fuji CN and 36exps, too.

Have you tried any film through your 'gift' funny Leica yet?

And how was Cropredy?

Cheers,
    Oly

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I'll tell you about Cropredy after next weekend! The FrankenLeica will go with me, especially as last year the film came off the spool... I still struggle to load it right as you've got to push the film quite a long way up inside the camera before it fully engages the sprockets. I also had to get a new M39 adaptor (£6.90 from China, so no great loss), as I painted the old one to the body cap whilst trying to eliminate reflections in my pinhole.... Latest roll of Fomapan is in the fridge, waiting for time to get in the darkroom - I've cunningly got four or five rolls to develop - of three different films!

Here's one from the first roll through Evil Edna, back when - [​IMG]
    https://flic.kr/p/e7EYS9Lonscale Fell https://flic.kr/p/e7EYS9 by gray1720 https://www.flickr.com/people//, on Flickr

Cheers for the tip - will keep an eye out, as King Harold once said.

Adrian

4. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Works out at c. £2.25 a film. Asda still beats it at £1.99 a film for the same thing. (3 for £5.97) Usual disclaimer! :)

BTW I've just had the first failure of a Poundland film. Bought 5. 4 OK. Fifth one blank. Poundland changed it without problem.

5. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Quite honestly, I don't like this stuff no matter how cheap it is. Horrible sharpness, or rather lack of it. Whatever the progeny of this film it certainly isn't Superia in cheaper packaging.

I much prefer Kodak Color Plus 200.

6. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

The Poundland film is exactly the same stuff, it has "made in Japan" on the box.

7. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Poundland film. There is nothing wrong with it. Long expiry date, it will have had to be been made by FUJI or they would not allow their name to be used on the boxes, or a note to say where it was made and it does produce the goods as well. I have no complaint about it. Sharp and with good saturation.

It's just like some people won't use Supermaket fuel, because it is cheaper and will not be as good as the stuff bought from ESSO a couple of miles down the road for 3ppl more. AKA brand snobbery.

Well I use fuel from Sainsbury's and they had a main supplier - Shell - filling up their tanks the day before Xmas so it is one and the same stuff. The EU standard for grade and content has to be the same or it would cause serious problems which could cause the sellers a lot of money in legal claims..

8. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Absolutely right. Let's do a proper blind test and see if any of them gets better than random results, identifying which film was used for, say, twenty sample prints.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Do you drive a Dacia or Skoda then?

Allegedly the additives in fuel are added to the tanker before leaving the depot, the motion of the tanker mixing them into the fuel, the supermarkets refusing to pay for the better additives. There is also the fact that some oil companies sell two grades of fuel, which presumably are different. The fuel to Esso/Shell/BP etc. here all comes from the same depot, which is supplied from the same refinery at Lindsey. I have only once bought petrol from Sainsbury's, quite a lot of years ago, the car in question had always run really well, as soon as this stuff hit the engine it was rough, flat and misfired. I did buy diesel from the defunct Safeway on occasions and the car (Golf TDi) used to emit a lot of black smoke on harder acceleration, far more than it did when run on Shell.

10. art

art Well-Known Member

The internet is awash with conspiracy theories about cheap petrol and diesel, though none seem to consider that supermarket fuel is cheap simply because it is a 'loss leader'.

All I know is that my petrol car has done 120k miles and my diesel car has done 180k miles, pretty much all on the cheapest supermarket fuels I could find at the time and both are still running fine.

11. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

On a similar note the brewery I worked for made own brand beers. The brewery lorries delivered the stuff but it was not the real deal. The buyer got their own beer which was made to it's own recipe or an off the shelf recipe. I guess the same applies to petrol with differing additives and specs.
    jeff

12. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

"Which" agrees with you: http://www.which.co.uk/documents/pdf/23-25_fuel20additives20r3-186207.pdf

Still, some people have money to burn, so best to leave them to their fun, eh?

:cool:

13. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I am afraid I feel these are anecdotal evidence with little fact to substanciate the claim. All old wives tales I fear with a generous helping of Chinese Whispers added for taste. Whatever fuel I use I always get the same approx MPG, and until I know differently I will continue to use it.

However this is off topic and nowt to do with film from poundland.

14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Correct, I used the word allegedly, if you would care to read my post properly.

It was actually yourself who brought petrol into the discussion, I simply made a response to that.

15. alindsay

alindsay Well-Known Member

Same happens in food processing plants, like Baxters, who supply things like pickled beetroot and canned soups to supermarkets, but it's the supermarkets' own recipes that are used, not Baxters.

16. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

This thread degenerated a bit.

17. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

They always do - eventually. Not a phenomena limited to these fora.

18. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Good stocks of Agfa 200 colour neg in Poundland Canterbury if anyone needs to stock up.

19. Alphonso

Alphonso Well-Known Member

Any Cheap Kodak T-Max 400 about .

Can anyone recommend a good film processing firm. I have decided to get my film cameras out and dust them off.
    I have also been digitising my old T-Max negatives.. 1990's era. What a difference. True blacks & whites. Hundreds of them . processed and never printed .
    Alphonso

20. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Don't know where you are in the West Riding but Peak Imaging in Sheffield would be my reccommendation. Very reasonably priced and have done a good job for me so far. Google for more info. - John