1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CHARITY!.......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by T90, Jan 2, 2008.

1. T90

T90 Well-Known Member

I hazard a guess that a few of you lot already contribute to charity but there are so many good causes out there that it can be difficult to narrow down the feild that you want to help.

As I am retired at 42 my income is tight but out of all the charities out there I would like to help I settled on the local cat shelter and probably the PDSA and RSPCA in the future!

Today I dropped off 18 hard backed Kodak encyclopedia manuals that cost me £360 years ago to the local cat shelter with a recommendation to flog 'em for a fiver a peice!

What charities do you support - if any??????

And what charities would you LIKE to support?

If T-90 had the cash he would just about support all of the UK's organisations!

2. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

We regularly support Cats Protection, PDSA, RSPCA and RNLI. We got our two cats from Cats Protection and Jen is on their fundraising committee. We both volunteered full time for The National Trust, Jen for 18 months and me for over 2 years and I now work full time for The Trust.

I used to help run a cycling club with the RNIB, we had nine tandems and would have days out on a Sunday and evening rides on a Wednesday. We arranged several cycling holidays here and abroad. It was quite exhilhorating being in a row of 9 tandems all exceeding 40mph.

3. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

I know this isn't going to go down well...

I don't agree with animal charities.

Surely there are enough human related charities that need the money?

4. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

I'd rather give to animal charities than human ones. After all the animals can't really help themselves and more often than not their distress is a result of human actions.

I try to give what I can money or otherwise when and where I can. The PDSA shop in Sheffield must have had no end of stuff from myself and my family.

5. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

It's all about choice. :D There are many different charities out there and each of us will see some as more deserving than others.

It's not always about money, time is useful to give too :D

6. JDCB

JDCB Well-Known Member

The Army Benevolent Fund. The MoD is acutely mean to it´s disabled soldiers and widows. One of my soldiers once suffered 45% burns and had his leg blown off while on active service, and yet his wife received only a one off payment of 14500 (very generously, tax-free /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif), and his current disabled life is supported by the ABF and the Regimental Association, not the taxpayer.

If there was a charity dedicated to exterminating the last Chancellor of the Exchequer I may to tempted to contribute.

James

7. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

Royal British Legion, Royal AirForce Association, Cancer Research, SSAFA, Cats Protection League and Cancer Research. We do annual donations via gift aid so that the charity gets the best from the dosh.

8. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Fair enough. If you feel that way then why not consider charities which help to preserve endangered wild animals by e.g. buying up forest to stop it being logged, rehabilitating orang-utans which have been captured and illegally kept as pets,...

Personally the major (but by no means sole) recipients of my charity donations are the Samaritans and the Tibetan Relief Fund.

Whatever you give to, if you're a UK tax payer, don't forget to make the Gift Aid declaration.

9. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Me too. I also wish I had had the cash to retire at 42 (sigh) and travel the world and enjoy myself a little.

I support UNICEF and a local Christian charity (and a few others with minor donations from time-to-time). I have no problem with animal charities - in fact, in some ways animals are nicer than humans - at least animals have never had it in for me at places of work where incompetents above me have seen me as a threat to them, rather than an asset to the company (I could go on for a long time here.....)

10. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

You too eh? :(

11. Nealxs

Nealxs Well-Known Member

I work for a charity, www.romseymill.org, helping young people and families get on in life in many different ways. I'm a youth worker and so work with many of the yobs and hoodies so beautifully represented in our current media. Britain is a needy country, just in different ways sadly.

Other charities I do/have supported: Red Cross, Oxfam because both help others that are in dire need and I respect how they do what they do.

However, charity is about the giving and helping others rather than blowing ones own trumpet is it not?

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

That's my view on the matter, yes.

13. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I used to think that until I realised that those who worked for me thought exactly the same. :)

MickLL

14. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I note no one has mentioned the RNLI so far, they are probably the most deserving of all.

Although I do think they should be government funded, apart from the fact that their efficiency and dedication would soon be destroyed by beaurocracy

Cheers MIKE

15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Hancock in the Blood Donor...
    "have you ever given blood before"
    "given no...spilt yes"

and in a previous scene he goes through his diary noting all the contributions he's made....

Personally I think it's between me and my conscience who I choose to give any help too. Although I do dispose of unwanted items through the charity shop system..still not find any leicas in there yet :D

16. liamjames91

liamjames91 Well-Known Member

anyone seen 'the secret millionaire' on chanel 4 i think, last one i watched, the quy said, quote "i have something to tell you, im a successful businessman, very very successful infact" it just seems like a lot of self glorification, donating mediocre amounts of money on national tv? multi milionaires giving something like 2k to organisations that do so much and deserve far more! :(

17. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

The production costs must come to more than some of the milionaires give. In one programme the millionaire gives to an old folks home to provide services that the owners should have been providing from the fees they charge. Those same owners didn't pay their dedicated staff well, I for one would have wanted to see the books before giving.

18. liamjames91

liamjames91 Well-Known Member

and all the crying because theyre such a good person! a good person would have given without the need to be on tv, you dont need to search far to find worthy charities! google for 'charity choice' :(

19. Ellie527

Ellie527 Well-Known Member

We regularly give cat food to our local cat rescue, it's where we got our cat from and they need all the help they can get.

We also give to the British Legion Poppy Appeal, the RNLI, SSAF, Seafarers UK and often buy Big Issue.

But will never give anything to those "Animal Charities" collections, because it's never quite clear where the money ends up.

20. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

I'm a member of the RSPB, you get a magazine every quarter and the photography in it is stunning.