1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charity shops as a source

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Eye Robot, Nov 10, 2011.

1. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I knew a couple of dealers like that selling secondhand and new kit way back in the film era ...

... crafty merchants!

They have ways of reeling you in! :rolleyes::eek::D

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Actually, no. The Singapore factory did belong to Zeiss, who sold it to Rollei and then went to tie up with a pre-Kyocera Yashica (after the briefest of dalliances with Pentax, which came up with the K mount and the SMC coating). There were Zeiss lenses produced there for Rollei, but AFAIK, none with a Voigtlander branding; they were all clones of the Rolleinar range, and the vast majority of them were, I think, made by Mamiya. I have some Voigtlanders and Rolleinars that I can directly compare with Mamiya CS lenses that I also own, and the similarities are overwhelming.

Not as far as I know, but the ones I have are very good. Also, it's not just rangefinder lenses - there are some manual-focus SLR lenses too.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The current Voigtlander lenses are made by Cosina, who also maufacture the current Zeiss lenses, in Japan. They are made like lenses used to be, with metal bodies and mounts and in most cases now the electronics to deal with the exposure side of things, basically af lenses without the af built to old fashioned standards.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Some of them, to be precise - others are made by Zeiss in Germany.

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

(slight edit to make sense!)

I stopped off tonight to drop off some bits for the next sale that I accumulated, and he has a certificate on the wall thanking him for raising over £100,000 for Oxfam. That's some effort!

Adrian

6. Tinselworm

Tinselworm Member

I've bought every one of my film cameras from a charity shop and not paid more than £5 for any one, the cheapest being the Ilford Sportsman and Kodak brownies for £3 each! the Zorki 4K was £4 and it was later valued at 10 times that... all in all good :)

[​IMG]

7. veato

veato Well-Known Member

Called in a shop yesterday and they have a Pentax P30n with a SMC-M 50mm f/1.7 for £20. I was very tempted as the P30 was my first ever SLR and mine was stolen years ago at university.

8. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

You were tempted the lens is worth more on it's own. If you're shooting Pentax digital it would be anyway.

9. veato

veato Well-Known Member

I already have a SMC-M 50mm so I'd want it for the body only