1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing computers but keeping software

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by steveandthedogs, Nov 6, 2018.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Well, I wouldn't have a clue how to do that, so a trip to the computer shop in Bangor would be in order. I'll just tell them what you said.

Thanks Snorri.

S

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My iMac is an i5 quad core and is more than fast enough. However you should check the maximum memory your main board will support, some will actually support more than the manufacturers state too. Also ensure that you are running 64 bit Windows 10.

3. steveandthedogs

Will do.

S

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

If you have the luminar serial number (shown in about this program screen?) then it looks like you get a discount on the latest version or £53 without.

Not worth stressing about replacing?

Last time I bought a pc it had photoshop elements on it and I just installed the Canon software and games.

5. steveandthedogs

Haven't bought it yet!

S

daft_biker likes this.
  6. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Some new computers don't even come with disc drives. I got my wife a new laptop which didn't have one. I have an older copy of MS Office which is sufficient for her needs and had to put the disk into my laptop and share the drive to be able to install it.

7. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

As there is talk about MS Office and old copy’s then I was thinking of pointing out Libre Office. Libre Office can do everything MS does only better and it’s free as well.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Two questions then.
    1. Can it open MS Office files?
    2. Can it save them as MS Office files?

The only reason I have MS Office is the need to open and modify Office files, if Pages, Numbers and Keynote could save files in MS Office file formats I would use them but they can't as far as I can see.

9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

1. Yes - up to a certain version.
    2. Ditto.

And it occasionally does funny things with formatting (especially embedded images). You'll need to try it and see.

10. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

So far I have not had any issues, it opens and saves in MS format if needed. But yes like SXH pointed out there is a possibility that there could be some minor issues. But so far so good.

11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've not yet found a Microsoft Office file that LibreOffice can't read and write. Some Excel functions don't translate but fewer with every version.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Thanks gents, it looks worth a try.

13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Libreoffice is not always so clever with big and complex word documents and powerpoint. I get them with extensive revisions from several reviewers in track change mode. Often edited with different word versions and non-english language versions. But if you are doing standard stuff Libreoffice should handle it well. I think later versions of MS office can also use open document format files giving two ways to exchange.

I've got an office 365 subscription that works well.

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yeah, I have problems with it and Track Changes, especially with multiple users and different Word versions. It's great for most things, but it is a bit flakey for this. Should have put MS Office on my laptop and Libre Office on my desktop, rather than the other way round, and there would be no problems, as I only ever do that sort of thing on the laptop.

P.S. Open Office is much worse... again, fine as a standalone package, but it struggles with more things.

15. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I`ve been using Open Office for years,but then I use it only for letter writing.I have no reason to use it for anything else.

16. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Do a search for Belarc Advisor online, download and run it, and it will give you the licence codes for everything you have.
    If you can then get an upgrade or even the original from the manufacturers, this code will work.

edit..... here is Belarc Advisor
    https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor