1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing computers but keeping software

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by steveandthedogs, Nov 6, 2018.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Right, I've just been told that 8Gb is now considered a minimum. Which means my laptop is now part of the Stone Age.
    The reason I'm asking about this is because I'm wondering about Luminar.

Now, I have some software on the laptop but have lost the discs. Is it possible to copy programmes from one machine to another so that they will still be usable?

Bear in mind that I am pre-Babbage, so please don't use words of more than two syllables.

S

Catriona likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

If it was me - and it might well be soon - I will beg my PC builder for help! I think I've still got my Elements disc/s so fingers crossed. I honestly don't know if programs can be cloned onto a new hard disc, but maybe your supplier will help.
    Good luck.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  3. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

That is tricky and often does not work as well... any chance of a download if you happen to have the license key or can get help from the manufacturer?

4. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Any chance of keeping the old laptop for this program?

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I can't do it in two syllable words.

Usually the answer is no. It is rare for a windows program to be standalone.

If you are moving to a new computer then freshly installing the software is probably the only way, especially if the machine is old.

If you are keeping the laptop and just increasing memory then you everything should keep working.

If your software is registered you can check with the providers to see if you can download an installer. Generally this would need you to have the latest version.

Some software requires you also to uninstall it before going to a new computer. It depends if there are on-line checks on the licence. This is to stop someone installing multiple copies.

6. steveandthedogs

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think Snorri's is probably the best idea, get the shop to put in the extra memory.
    And possibly get a new machine as well.
    Depending on the bank manager, of course...

But then do I stay with Windows or go to the dark side and a Mac? Life gets complicated at times.

S

Catriona likes this.
  7. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Probably not quite the same but I was able to clone my C:\ partition over to an SSD, all OS and programmes; then formatted the old C: partition on the hard disc and used it for data and images etc.

8. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Is there capacity in your laptop for extra memory? If there is it is not difficult to install but I understand if you don't fancy the task. How about a desktop?

9. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Doubt it's possible, when you install a program there's all sorts of stuff that goes into the register and Windows system folders so simply copying a folder across won't work. If you're upgrading your computer would it not also be an idea to update you software, especially if everything's as old as you say? And I suppose there's always the chance the old software won't work with the newer operating system!

And again, as PeteRob and Snorri have mentioned, if you registered your sofware then contacting the providers is probably the best way to go!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  10. steveandthedogs

I think that is a definite "Hallo, Mr Shopkeeper!"

But it sounds a bit hopeful.

S

11. steveandthedogs

Yes, I can get up to 8Gb put in [by someone else, note!], the thought of that and a desktop as well are becoming attractive.

S

12. steveandthedogs

You're trying to depress me, aren't you?

Just kidding! You may be right.

S

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

OK then, in words of few syllables.
    If your computer is old enough to have less than 8GB of memory, how old is/are the program/s you want to keep? It is possible, even likely, they are not compatible with Windows 10 so they may not run on a new computer.

Even if they run they may not perform as you expect/remember.

If you go for a Mac your old programs won't run on it, though there may be Mac versions of some of them. I only had to buy Microsoft Office when I ditched Windows, all my other software was either available for Mac (Nikon View, Capture etc.), an equivalent came with the Mac (eMail) or it was a free download (Audacity). Luminar is available for Mac, it is £54 from the Apps store.

14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That's not changing the computer or operating system but is a way of speeding things up. The small computer shops around us offer that as a service.

15. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Indeed and throw in a memory upgrade and you should see reasonable upgrade in speed and functionality. That said it depends on the rest of the hardware if this is a sensible idea or not.

16. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

The lesson here is if you got it on disc, never lose the disc.
    My Office 2010 and Photoshop Elements 7 are now both been installed on 3 consecutive PCs.
    Other purchased software that never came on disc (like Vuescan) can be downloaded again because I have all the user ID and passwords from the original purchase (and I know where they are).

I assume you are careful to take regular backup copies of your images and, I assume, any other data files on your PC's hard disc to an external portable disc, so why be less careful with software discs?

AlanW likes this.
  17. steveandthedogs

A few things disappeared when I was laid up and the step-daughter had the house done up for me. I think they probably went to the tip with a skip load of rubble and such.

S

18. steveandthedogs

I think the rest of it may be worth the effort of more memory. Probably the way to go.

S

19. steveandthedogs

About six or seven years or possibly a bit more. The machine updated to W10 by itself, so everything works on it.
    The laptop has an i5 inside, went for the best I could afford at the time. I assume this now a bit past it’s sell by date.

S

20. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

i5 is not bad, obviously there are different versions that are not all made equal. But still I would say that a i5 should have enough power in it to run most things you can throw at it.
    I would defenetly be looking at cloning to a SSD and upgrading to maximum memory. The good thing is that even if it won’t work, you still have the original hard drive to pop back in.