1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing a focussing screen

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by tazio35, Apr 8, 2008.

1. tazio35

tazio35 Well-Known Member

I've just ordered a split prism-type focussing screen from one of the Chinese ebayers. I know a few people on here have changed the focussing screens on their cameras, so can someone give me a few tips on how to do it and what tools I'll need, please?

The camera is a GX-1S, soon equivalent to an *ist DS2. Thanks very much.

2. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

3. Dave_Cox

Further to the information in the older thread, I can also now report that I've had no problems with spot metering and the new screen. I also fitted the same screen to my DL2 before getting the K10 so I can't see the DS2 equivalent being much different.

4. tazio35

Ah, didn't spot the detailed instructions. Thanks for the link. :)

5. tazio35

Well, as a follow up to this, my screen arrived this morning. I was very pleased when I opened the packet to see that the prism has a diagonal split rather than a horizontal one (so rather like my old Praktica). Took the existing screen out easily enough and found that my new screen is too wide to fit in the frame. Does anybody know how the screens differ in size between the cameras and whether I can modify anything to get this one to fit?

6. Dave_Cox

I don't know of any difference between the screens. My 'chinese' screen fitted both the DL2 and K10. Your Samsung is equivalent to the K100 I think, so it should fit. As a first action I'd contact the supplier.

7. tazio35

My Samsung's equivalent to a DS2, I believe, so it has a pentaprism rather than a pentamirror like a K100. I'd think a K10 screen should fit. Heigh ho, I'll see what my contact in China says.

8. tazio35

An update. I did order the wrong screen. The supplier I found does two different sizes and the one for pentaprism cameras is slightly smaller. I've now ordered that and will sell my other one on, I suppose.