1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest,

Nature photography is hugely popular, and there is always something more to learn. We've got the best photographers in this fascinating genre to share their tips and advice on the gear and techniques needed for stand-out shots, and inspire us with their wonderful images.

Whether you’re a beginner or intermediate photographer, and whether you're into flowers, insects or animals, you'll learn something new in this issue of 'Improve Your Photography' – and come away with your creative batteries fully charged.

Simply enter your details to receive your downloadable copy of 'Improve Your Photography – Nature'.

3. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Dismiss Notice

Chaine Memorial

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by beatnik69, Feb 17, 2021.

1. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I don't think I've posted this one anywhere else. It's the Chaine Memorial in Larne, about 30 miles from Belfast. I had been out that morning to photograph sunrise in a different location, but stopped off here to test some new filters. It was taken over a year ago, but I'd never done anything with it, because the sky was bland and the water was a muddy colour in the original version. A couple of weeks ago I took another look at it, converted it to mono and was quite please with the results. It got me a first place in a club competition last week.

[​IMG]Chaine Memorial_Gary Robinson_Inter_Mono.jpg by Gary Robinson Photography, on Flickr

Dan S likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

A well deserved win! I don’t have any other comment.

beatnik69 likes this.
  3. beatnik69

Thanks Pete.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well done, nice shot (even though I'm tired of big stoppers). Nit-picker might say it is leaning left just the teensiest bit and you could discuss endlessly over where the rail "should" be in relation to the horizon. Purist might call for you to make your mind up and possibly get a tad higher to put it below, but that's very debatable.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Very nice. The horizon is accurately level. I think that the tower may lean to the left in reality.

6. RovingMike

Yes about half a degree.

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks that the white handrail makes the shot? Or am I just weird?

beatnik69 likes this.
  8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

it is the sum of the parts that makes the picture. I wouldn't say that it was exclusively the hand-rail but it is an important element.

beatnik69 likes this.
  9. RovingMike

Very much so for me. That's why I'd query whether a higher angle and more separation from the horizon would make it a stronger leading line.

10. beatnik69

I'll head back up again some time soon and see if I can get something better. This was only really taken to test the filters, so I was happy that I got something out of it at all.