1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

CF & SD cards which one ?

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by southonline, Jul 21, 2014.

1. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

I'm looking at getting some memory cards as I've started using my 5D and its eating into my single CF 32GB card

I've always used Sandisk Extreme in the past and I presume these are still pretty good ? I know cards can fail so I presume getting 32/64MG is the better option than 128MG? I've also used Lexar

Also is there any difference between CF & SD cards? as I can use either or both - the camera won't be used for video

Cheers

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The only cards that I have had any bother with have been Sandisk, not Ebay fakes either. I have found Lexar and Transcend are both fine.

There is quite a lot of difference between SDHC and CF cards, I wasn't aware the 5D used SDHC cards. CF tend to be more robust, aside of bending the pins in the camera body if inserted roughly and have faster read/write speeds.

3. southonline

yes the 5D takes both - I've never had the option of using SD, hence asking and I was a little concerned as I've never had a CF fail and they do feel a little more robust

So Transcend, another make into the fold ;o) ...

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I always use Sandisk extreme. In my 1D, which has twin card slots, I have an 8 GB CF and 8 GB SDHC and I only once filled them both in one outing. you can set the camera up to write across the divide. The CF is prime use and the other is backup. I don't keep shots on the cards if I can help it. I suppose though that the 5D file size must be quite big.

The number of SDxx cards on the market is enormous and quite confusing. I need to get a bigger SDHC and was looking to see what to get. As a replacement camera for my G10, for when the big cameras are too inconvenient to carry, I bought a Fuji E2 this weekend, encouraged not a little by the AP fieldtest report last week. The raw files are 33 MB ! I wasn't quite expecting that from a 16MP camera.

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

If you can use both, why not use both? I would. What are your pictures worth to you?

Overall, I've also found SD cards more reliable than CF: I have cameras that use one or the other, but not both.

Cheers,

R.

6. grove39

grove39 Well-Known Member

I've started using Transcend in everything now.

I stopped using Sandisk when all the fakes started showing up and even Amazon themselves have been caught out by them.

7. southonline

I dont have any issues with using either or Roger, my question was which one did people find more reliable - After reading a few postings here it really does seem each has there preference but backing up which is better or not can't be done - So I will stick with buying 32gb cards & have one in each slot should one fail or get full up

Transcend is a make that comes up often Grove39 - so I'll check them out, cheers

8. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Ever since getting the 5D3 Ive been using Sandisk extreme pro udma7... their read and write speeds for the larger files are pretty quick. Apparently only the cf slot supports udma and the sd is standard speed (even if you use a fast sd card ) and the camera will default to the slower speed if you have both on board.

9. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I usually have a Lexar & a SanDisk in the same size as I upgrade cards as cards increase in size & reduce in cost. Makes identification easy although they can always be numbered. A tel.no. on the card can be a good idea, too.

It's CF for me as the main camera uses only that and SD where required by others, or XD in Olympuses. CF are easier to handle, imv, and you have a fighting chance of hearing should you drop one, even perhaps on grass - something highly unlikely with the smaller cards. Haven't had a failure yet with a card I have bought new. The only failure so far is with a frozen SanDisk CF that came with a s/h camera. Keep meaning to be cheeky & get the Co. to honour their lifetime guarantee on that one.

Some photographers with dual slot cameras use both CF & SD and arrange things, camera permitting, so that when shooting RAW & JPEG, one type of file goes to one card.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  10. CHRI5

CHRI5 Member

Been using a 32gb transcend cf card for a while, went for a 32gb transcend sd card, I'm going to try and write raw to the CF and JPEG to the SD.

11. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

By "5D" in this instance, you must be referring to the 5D III. My 5D & 5D II only take CF cards.

12. southonline

yes bought it last week

13. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I hope it performs as well for you as the fanboys say it does. My 5D II is fine for what I use it for, and if the AF on the 5D II is its weak point, I've not noticed it so far - probably because I'd be using a 1D IV instead.

14. southonline

I've only taken it out once so far and I've been pleased with the results, however I need to get my head around the AF settings which are vast !

15. Gaz J

Gaz J Active Member

The 5DIII as stated above has a slow, 20MB/S, SD slot. If write speed is what you're after then only use a CF card.

The 5D3 can utilise UDMA 7 cards and there is a benefit to using the fastest CF cards if you're prepared to pay for them.

I only use Sandisk CF cards and it is possible to get another 8 frames before the frame rate slows form 6 FPS by using their 160 MB/S card compared with their 60MB/S card.