1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

CF Express card sizes

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by AndyTake2, Mar 13, 2019.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Some more info in the CF Express cards which are to replace xqd and probably just about every type of card

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/03/12/...s-of-cfexpress-memory-cards.aspx/#more-133421

There are to be three sizes, starting at similar size to SD, used for general cameras, the .a bigger one which will be for pro cameras (think of a replacement for CF) and video, and a larger one to replace SSDs in computers.

The difference is mainly in the PCIe lanes they use, going from 1 to 4 respectively, with a corresponding gigabyte performance rating

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I wonder if they'll be more than an oddity given how comprehensively SD has displaced CF.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

There doesn't seem to be much will to use them across the board. OTOH, it does seem to have consigned XQD to the status of YASFU - Yet Another Sony Mistake....;)

Scphoto likes this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Now, now. No mentioning Betamax... ;)

(to be fair though: Betacam did dominate professional recording so far as I recall).

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Memory Stick, anyone? And there are other examples... ;)

6. AndyTake2

There are a few manufacturers supporting the card, including Sony.
    As it is a part of the CF organisation, and therefore an open standard, it is likely that it will be taken up by more camera makers etc.
    Sony shot themselves in the foot by being tight-arsed with XQD, so it is no wonder it never got further than a few Nikon cameras.

This one is likely to improve matters with the size of the smaller units (about the size of an SD card) being available for consumer and even some pro level cameras (1GB/s) which is plenty enough for anything but high speed work.
    The B standard will attract most attention in pro and video work, until 8K recording is needed, when the 4GB/s of the C standard will work well.

I can't see the SD card going any further - it has been pushed pretty well as it is, and the only real way to get further is to use the PCIe system, which then leads it into the same territory as the A class CFe.

Whatever happens, it is likely to be a damn site more convenient than the XQD fiasco.

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I may have one lying around somewhere, fell out of a box of stuff I got from CashConverters, I think.

But I definitely have one of these...
    30203cess.jpg

A Toshiba invention, apparently...

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Still got a couple of those for my Olympus Camedia 3000Z, my first digital camera. Hated them.

9. AndyTake2

Fuji XD card anyone?:D

DaveM399 likes this.
  10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Certainly was a time when there were nearly as many memory card systems as camera makers. Thank heavens that particular form of insanity has gone.

11. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Yes, got a couple hiding somewhere!

12. Andrew Flannigan

I've still got a 64MB stick in a F55. That's nearly 30 enormous 2.1MB shots on that one card! :D

Panasonic GX7 8GB 09 P1130380.JPG

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The CF Express B card is the same form factor as XQD and, apparently, can be used in the same slot with a firmware upgrade. Thus XQD may be obsolescent but the cameras that use it aren't. I think also that Panasonic are to use an XQD slot on their Full Frame mirrorless camera. If CF Express is as fast as XQD it will be very fast and my understanding is that it is designed to be faster.

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It is all well and good to be an innovator but you have to be realistic and set the licensing at a price that people will pay, 1% of 1,000,000 sales at $10 is better than 10% of 1,000 $100 sales. Sony seem happy to sell 1,000 XQD cards at $100 when they could sell many times as many at $10.

15. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Having a bit of a clear-out I have just found three of these - two 4MB and one 32MB - together with the magic Minolta thingy that you slapped onto the lens mount of a Dynax 7. It would then dump all the exposure data since the last upload/format onto the card as a csv file. It was pretty neat, but took a lot of discipline to use, as it couldn't tell when you changed film, other than when the ISO was changed, but it was very useful if you rewound a partially exposed film to use a different emulsion. The Dynax 7 could load a film at any frame number and I had a few precious fil canisters with a dial on the top to show how remind how many frames had been taken.

Gonna buy me some film next week! :cool: