1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CF Card for D700 (other than Sandisk/Lexar)

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by PMurrell, Jan 2, 2020.

1. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

Hi All,

You may recall from a recent post I had issues with a Sandisk Extreme Pro Cf card.

I generally shoot street and the odd wedding so speed is not necessarily a necessity (I still have two unopened Sandisk 16gb Extreme Pro's sent as a 'goodwill gesture' by them).

I'm looking for 4 or 8GB card but it seems Sandisk no longer make them plus price is an issue. Has anyone used Transcend or Kingston CF cards?

Peter

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I have used both as CF cards when I had cameras that used them. My preference is Transcend, I had two Kingston CF cards which gave problems, Transcend have been fine, as were Lexar.

3. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

Thank you Nimbus. They seemed reasonably priced and comparing them to sandisk I thought, "Hmm..can they be trusted?" but then I had two Sandisk CF fail on me and they cost much more!

4. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Most of my CF cards are Sandisk followed by Lexar and one Kingston. I have had one failure in 15 years and that was a Sandisk but it didn’t put me off. Perhaps you were just unlucky.

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I've used Transcend and Kingston SD cards, and Kingston CF cards with no issues, over a number of years. I believe that Kingston were one of the few companies who actually manufactured their own cards rather than re-branding some made in someone else's factories.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I've only ever used Sandisk. I probably have some low capacity ones somewhere as I don't recall disposing of them, but they will be over 12 years old. I'll have a search tomorrow. When I bought my 5D in 2007 4GB was an unbelievable amount of storage.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It is probably worth remembering that when the D700 was produced none of the currently available CF cards were available. The list of approved cards in the instructions is meaningless as those cards aren't available any more. Simply, use what you like but be aware that they won't all be as good as each other.

None of the cards available from reputable manufacturers will be bad but you may prefer one to another.

8. PeteRob

I looked and I have a Sandisk 2 GB (rating unknown) a 4 GB Extreme III and an 8 GB Ultra. If they are any use send me a private message.

9. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I have found it is next to impossible to get a CF or for that matter any memory card with a capacity of less than 8gb. I have always believed in using small capacity cards because if one large on goes belly up when you are on holiday you can loose a whole mass of images. With smaller cards at least you will have some to show for your trip.

10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Of course it is not compulsory to fill larger cards...

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

but a bit of a waste not to use a reasonable amount of the space...

12. PeteRob

True but older equipment may not accept higher capacity cards at all. The Canon 5D as sold would only address 4GB which increased to 8 GB with a firmware update.

I have a Garmin Oregon that only takes 2GB microSD cards - I was lucky to find a company that put for me a copy of openstreetmap onto a 1GB card they found in a corner.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you are on holiday there is no reason why you shouldn't download from a large card on a regular basis. I take a computer with me and transfer each day's images before dinner. They remain on the card too so I have two copies. I also have a 500GB external hard disc to which I can copy everything occasionally giving me a third copy. I think that is paranoid enough.

14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The poster I was replying to was not the original poster with a D700:).

15. John King

That scenario would not fit my idea of a holiday. I leave all my electronic bits and pieces behind, and go and enjoy what I see. Too much junk (Generic term) takes up too much room when touring on a motorcycle where actual carrying capacity is limited. In fact I actually still prefer to use film. A 'brick' of 10 x 36 exp cassettes will do for a couple of weeks away. I don't even need to take spare batteries or a charger. The D600 will give superb images, but I still don't feel as if I have achieved anything with them. Most will be scanned on a Nikon film scanner and transferred into images for projection and some will be printed in my darkroom,

nimbus likes this.
  16. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Just been through my ex-ashtray where I keep spare cards and I have one Sandisk Extreme III 1.0GB card. If anyone sends me a private message with a snail mail address I will post it to them. I no longer have a camera that will take it.

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Having spent a lot of time touring the United States where it can be useful to book things in advance a computer is now an almost essential part of the packing. Usually it is a 13" MacBook Pro which is more than adequate for our needs and it fits very nicely in a Billingham Hadley One with a camera body and two lenses.

18. John King

GoeffR I have lived on this planet for 3/4 of a century and have managed very well to travel without having to drag a computer around with me. I prepare for touring Europe carefully with B&B's booked well in advance and when I am not using a B&B I use camp sites - you don't need to book for them. My transport over to mainland Europe is on a car ferry from Harwich and never had a problem.

When you are touring on a M/cycle you are extremely restricted with what you can carry and anything that can be adverse to bad weather is a big no-no. Weight of what you carry is also a major factor, especially with camping equipment on board.Then there is security of what you take and it is open to theft. The loss of a laptop is unthinkable. The panniers are easily stolen off a bike as I well know and had one wrenched off 3 years ago when I was in the Dolomite area of northern Italy having stopped for a coffee.. Fortunately they took nothing desperately expensive - I hope they managed to wash out my grubby clothes!:D

I also have a satnav, but that is small enough to take with me if I go walkabout. I also have enough fine detailed maps as a backup.

I am quite happy with what I do when away. One camera body, 2 lenses at most and enough film or memory cards to cover my needs.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  19. John King

A nice offer and thank you, but I use SD cards in my D600 and a CF is no use in an F6 or F100

20. PeteRob

It is Peter Murrell who is looking for low capacity CF cards. I made a similar offer - they are no use to me #8