1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Caved in and bought a M6ii

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by pixelpuffin, Apr 27, 2022.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

The irony is that the M system is canons biggest seller in Asia
    I guess they can’t afford to do R&D in both crop and full frame…especially given Fuji, Sony, Nikon etc etc are doing there damndest to poach inpatient canon users. But as the R5 proves, when canon gets its act together they are pretty untouchable.
    But truth be told I’m more than happy at present and things will only get better.

zx9r likes this.
  2. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

I am sure you will love the camera. Re switching off the screen there is a button on the side of the EVF whose sole purpose is to switch the screen on and off.;)

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I notice that Thom Hogan (who is mainly a Nikon user) is complementary about the Canon M cameras and the M6 ii in particular.
    https://bythom.com/newsviews/archives/05-2022.html
    The article was written after the public knowledge about the R7 and R10.
    I suppose that one should buy the lenses one wants while they are still available.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The rest of the M system is very unlikely to go anywhere in a hurry - the M50 remains a huge seller, and the R-S lenses will never be as small as their EF-M counterparts.

Personally, I'm more likely to buy a spare M6 II while I can than an R7 or R10, it's a great little camera. No, it's a great, LITTLE camera. Love the R series, but it's never going to do for me what the M series can.

zx9r likes this.
  5. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

TBH there isn’t much I crave from the R7 & R10. I already have all the M lenses even the discontinued18-55. I made a point of grabbing them last year. Like Benchista says, the M system is hugely popular in Asia. Why would I or indeed anyone else want to trade up to a bigger heavier system?? The whole appeal of the M is that’s it can me minuscule (M200 + 22) or it can be on par with its dslr brethren (M6ii + EVF + EF adapter) I love the fact that it’s so versatile. Besides the IBIS I have zero cravings to go bigger.
    My old flappers still astound me, I’m finally at peace with my kit.
    I wish canon every success with the R and I’m certain the younger generation will be grateful but for me…I’m staying put.

zx9r likes this.
  6. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

I can't say that Canon discontinuing the system really bothers me, I finished off a roll of film in my Contax Aria this afternoon.

John Farrell likes this.
  7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, AP reckons the M series is on its last legs.

The fact that I got one last year - well, I had an empty credit card and thought the M5 looked interesting, and was cheap, Used/Excellent - guarantees they will kill the series sooner than later. :(

Shame. it's a nice piece of kit. Apart from the stupid placement of the On/Off switch.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Have to say I thought that was an awful article, utterly lacking in insight or understanding of the M system globally. What I expect from US bloggers, not AP.

9. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Not even the best understanding of the system from a users point.
    From the article "Place the viewfinder on the EOS M6, and becomes larger than the EOS M5." This is true however the M6 mk2 EVF is a way nicer thing to look through and well worth the extra bulk, well that was my opinion when I tried the M6 next to the M5, it took a fraction of a second to decide which one to spend my pennies on and it was not the M5.

Benchista likes this.
  10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'm more than used to that by now. Vanishingly few people who aren't M users have ever even tried to understand it. Tiny cameras, tiny lenses but decent quality images always seemed so simple a formula to me, but people always seem to obsess on what the system isn't, rather than what it is.

WillieJ and zx9r like this.
  12. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Just got a used ef-m 22mm and have fitted it to my original M. Makes it a very nice (if slow) little camera.

zx9r likes this.
  13. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Me too, I usually use a 35mm or 45mm lens when going walk abouts in London almost knowing what the covereage before I even raise the camera to my eye. The intension was to use it on holiday but I found the streets in Malta to be too cramped for even the 15mm end of the kit zoom, resorting instead to the wide lens on my phone so I have not yet got the use out of it I thought I would.
    My intentions were to manual focus, aperture priority at f/8 and point and shoot so camera speed would not matter, I should borrow my old EOS M back from my son and compare the M + 22mm with the M6 mk2 + kit zoom one day if I remember.

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I hate to admit it*, but since getting my M5 a year or so ago, I've come to really like it. Except for the stupidly placed on/off switch.

I foresee a visit to CEX or where-ever to offload my other cameras/lenses, followed by a (used) M50 as backup.

As a matter of interest, has anyone here used the Canon mount version of the Sigma 30mm lens? Seems to get slightly mixed reviews.

* I was put of Canon back in the days of film by a work colleague who was a right Canon evangelist - would go off on one if anyone dared to claim any other make was as good. God help you if you claimed they were better... :eek:

spinno and zx9r like this.
  15. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Have to admit the M series was on my mind as a possible a while ago. But for various reasons I sold every bit of Canon gear, looked at the M system but thought it was going nowhere, and moved to Fuji with the XT4 and now awaiting delivery of an XE 4. Shame really because in my opinion the M series has a lot going for it, in only Canon were to invest a little more .