1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Caved in and bought a M6ii

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by pixelpuffin, Apr 27, 2022.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Having already bought the M50 and the full set of canon M lenses, I thought I was done…
    But the itch for the R was becoming unbearable. I couldn’t justify the cost so made do reading reviews…which only made the itch worse.

I started looking, almost bought, then stumbled on a review that claimed the tiny M6ii was “ better in every way except high iso” No, it can’t be true!!

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/the-canon-eos-m6-mark-ii-is-better-than-the-canon-eos-r

To cut a long story short, a used 12mth old M6ii, mint, boxed with EVF should be arriving tomorrow.I’m chomping at the bit! My EF-M 32mm 1.4 is sat ready.

Hope it’s as good as he says!

John Farrell and daft_biker like this.
  2. pixelpuffin

I recently scored on a used 70-300 IS II nano, it’s super super fast, sharp and contrasty….and….it’s BLACK!! Yay
    On crop that’s equiv 112-480
    The M6ii is supposedly a mirrorless 90D, canons final act !!

I’m expecting amazing things here….

3. pixelpuffin

Bit of background…
    I hankered after 3 bodies
    90d, 5div & R
    The M6ii is widely accepted as being a mirrorless 90d
    The 5div af and sensor are supposedly eclipsed by the R
    The M6ii is supposedly on par with the R
    If my logic is right it seems I won’t be missing out on much??

Fingers crossed

4. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

El_Sid and pixelpuffin like this.
  5. pixelpuffin

You my friend are the reason I bought it, i thought if its good enough zx9r, then it’s good enough for me!!
    So be warned!!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  6. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

I feel flattered by your trust, hopefully not misplaced. :)
    The only thing that occasionally catches me out is the slight flicker in the EVF when moving from shadow to bright light but I'll let if off because it was much better than that of the M5 I tried it side by side with before buying.

pixelpuffin likes this.
  7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I love the M6 II - fantastic travel camera. I'm off to Istanbul with it fairly soon, with hand baggage only - and this and a few EF-M fit lenses fit nicely, and I'm happy I'll get decent results, even in low light.

Goes on my pro jobs too as a backup body.

Very versatile little camera with exceptional AF and a wonderful sensor.

zx9r and pixelpuffin like this.
  8. pixelpuffin

Oh my….
    The speed took me by surprise. I’d become accustomed to the M50 (which is fabulous) but this M6… it’s so bloody quick. Super responsive.
    As expected the camera is mint
    No instructions tho, seller has misplaced.
    I swapped the foil screen protector for a glass version. Fitted the smallrig cage that arrived today. Fitted the EVF and 32mm 1.4
    What a beast of a camera.
    Off away for the weekend tomorrow
    Think I’ll take this with me.

On a separate note, took the JJC LH 74 B hood to work today ( 70-300 ISii) and cut it down using a grinder with slitting disc
    Much better, far less obtrusive and when reversed I can still operate the zoom ring! Yes, I may get flare…. But I love flare, think it adds realism to pictures
    The hood is primarily for protection as I tend to not use UV filters these days.

zx9r likes this.
  9. pixelpuffin

453523F4-C112-461B-95B5-374A9C3B2C36.jpeg 10E6F515-57CB-4BAB-982F-BD2E29CC050D.jpeg 6DFAE19F-2FE1-4876-8D11-5F5A74A08B0B.jpeg Oh, I’m buzzing now :)

zx9r likes this.
  10. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Well jealous of your lens collection, I did not even know that the 70-300 existed.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The manual can be downloaded here: https://www.canon.co.uk/support/con...s-m6-mark-ii.html?type=software&language=&os=
    Obviously not as good as a printed one, but still...

Cage looks good. I use the Smallrig L bracket (old version) with a nice wooden grip when using the camera on a tripod or with long EF lenses, really helps. I take it off for travel

pixelpuffin likes this.
  12. pixelpuffin

View attachment 112019 View attachment 112018 Oh, I’m buzzing now :)
    Thanks - RE 70/300 nano
    I had one a few years ago and it was terrible. Totally put me off.
    I recently read people raving about it?? So took a punt on a cheap used one..
    My god it’s fast!! Insanely fast, sharp and contrasty. For a carry anywhere I think it’s spot on (once the hood is cut down!!) . Don’t like carrying the “whites” when out with family - this fits the bill perfectly.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    zx9r likes this.
  13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I wish I was 14 again

14. pixelpuffin

Thanks for the link
    The cage was specifically bought in mind with using the 70-300. The bigger deeper grip is much more ergonomic. Plus it gives a little bit of protection.

one thing I’m not happy about is the rear screen being on. I know I can switch off in menu, but a button for display off/on would be better. I never use the rear screen on my M50 or the fold out screens on DSLR’s.

Benchista likes this.
  15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'll be honest, standard behaviour generally suits me - I do use the screen sometimes.
    Perhaps you could set one of the C settings to select it quickly? Or at least put it in your "My Menu"?
    Problem with a dedicated button is simply the size of the camera, I guess.

16. pixelpuffin

I’m sure there’s a work-around
    I’m pretty certain the M50 allows the screen to be switched on/off
    Certainly my DSLR’s do.
    I need to spend some time reading through the manual you linked - cheers again.

17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Where does the flash go if you wanted a viewfinder too?

18. pixelpuffin

It doesn’t
    That’s the downside, tho with the cage you have a cold shoe incase you wanted to add LED lights?? (not the same I know)
    I’ve got the M50 if I wanted to use EVF and Flash simultaneously.
    I’m hoping (praying!!) that canon releases more for the M system.
    Would love a few more dinky fast primes
    Plus a rugged aka ‘7d’ weather sealed version of a M body would be amazing. I’m loving the small form factor.

It’s a lot of fun!

daft_biker likes this.
  19. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

I would like to see all of the above too but Canon keep blowing hot and cold on the M system, I would not be surprised if the M6 mk2 was the last of the line I suppose it depends on the sales figures and profit of R v M system :(

20. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

It would help if the M6 mk2 had on board remote flash control but it does not.

pixelpuffin and daft_biker like this.