1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catriona, Copying and so on

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by SXH, Jun 16, 2020.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

In an older thread, Catriona suggested the possibility of 'copying' other photographers as an exercise. She also evinced a liking of Mondrian. As I had recently discovered a packet of old (is Max Spielmann still going) which including some vaguely relevant pictures. Back then, I thought painting might be for me and produced some pictures, which might give you all a laugh - and possibly cast doubt on the notion that copying may help...

First an obvious one.
    4-ces.jpg Based, I think on the street plan of the area I was living in at the time.

I think the influence here is a bit obvious:
    1-ces.jpg

This one is a bit more of a mixture:
    3-ces.jpg Somewhere between Leger and Lichtenstein, I think

But this one:
    2-ces.jpg I've no idea WHO I was copying here - it maybe actually be an original.

None of the originals still exist apart from the third one, which needs a really good clean. And the prints were quite faded, so the colours are a bit wrong.

What I did learn from all this is that I am a better photographer than I am a painter - something to do with arm muscle control.

Geren, Zou and Catriona like this.
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Better than anything I could do.

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

You did well!

I just have to nitpik about 'copying'.

I never copied works, I tried to emulate styles, which taught me a heck of a lot as well as respect for the ones I was emulating.

PS Love the cheese one!

Zou and SXH like this.
  4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Thank you. :oops:
    Accepted. I think that's what I meant but, in my usual way, phrased badly.
    Thanks again. That's a funny one. The mouth looks wrong, unless you look at the eyes - then it looks right. No idea why that is.

The other thing is it's the only painting I did from a photograph of a real person. She reckons it looks nothing like her, but I did all the squaring up to make sure it was a good representation. Something to do with people and the way they view themselves, and the effect of heavy simplification. I suppose Picasso had the same problem...

Catriona likes this.
  5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Don't forget that she usually sees herself as a mirror image.

Catriona likes this.
  6. Catriona

That's so true. I have occasionally flipped portraits I've done of people and it looks all wrong too.

7. ptermx

ptermx Active Member

I also like the "cheese" one. If it's really BIG, it could be very powerful hung on a wall.

ascu75 likes this.
  8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Great stuff. Last one gives me immediate thoughts of Matisse (I think because of the blue and its outline) but the rest is harder to pin down. Pop art, so Richard Hamilton or Paolozzi perhaps?

Anyway, what I like it's that whilst you may be able to link ideas/themes they are not simply generic or copies. I think you've done really well. :)

Geren and Catriona like this.
  9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Thanks for the compliments, all, I think another thing they prove is that I have more imagination than technique! And that I misunderstood the basis of Pollock - his were based, iirc, on Native-American sand paintings, mine were too random.

Not sure about the Matisse idea, Hamilton possibly. Strikes me more as a mix of '70s magazine article illustration and cheap sci-fi paperback covers from the same era!

10. Catriona

In the last picture, what's the top left small picture. Got me puzzling.

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Old-style Access card and 20p and 50p coins.

Catriona likes this.
  12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Mattise's Icarus:

[​IMG]

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

Cor! I should have known! I remember my first card - £25 limit. I felt rich! Mind you that was in the day you could only take a pittance out of the country when you went on holiday. I wonder if Boris will bring that back?

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Ah yes, I remember those days. I think my first card had a £50 limit. I was living/working in Newcastle at the time. Few places took Access or Barclaycard (pre Mastercard/Visa days!) then, though a number of restaurants took Diners and American Express.

Catriona likes this.
  15. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Forerunner to that was a little plastic note holder came out with £10 in it. That's all you could withdraw.

Catriona likes this.
  16. Catriona

You were posh! I never had one of those. Mind you, I was still in the days of having to assert my worth as a working woman and not just as wife with the bank!
    I'm sure on our Christmas visit to friends over in Belgium in 1971 we were only allowed to take out £15 sterling? Those were the days.

17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

The pictures, btw, date to early/mid '80s. How do I know? Well, in the same batch was a picture of a Class 45 locomotive, no 118. Which was taken out of service in '87. The loco still exits, it's preserved at the Railway Technical Centre, Derby.

Catriona likes this.
  18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I like them. There's a confidence to them that is actually quite rare.

SXH and Zou like this.