1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Cashback - Caveat Emptor

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jchrisc, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Just for the fun of joining conversation:

Because the date is good it doesn't nessicerily mean the produce is fresh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICA_meat_repackaging_controversy

Propperly packaged some canned food can last much longer than the date, dried food such as rices, beans etc can be good up to 10 years later. Staples such as salt and sugar are indefinate as is honey and i also heared sauerkraut doesn't expire.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

With regard to "best before" dates, perhaps, but they can't legally sell anything past a "use by" date.

3. Tony_Kavanagh

Tony_Kavanagh Well-Known Member

That's true. Tinned food recovered after many decades at Antarctic bases proved perfectly edible. Perhaps the cold climate helped preservation?

A few years ago, we found some tins of military rations in the loft (scrounged by my late father, who was in the RAF all his life). The tins were date-stamped nineteen-fifty-something, and contained corned beef. We found the contents perfectly preserved and edible!

4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Forget about any wrangles about who is responsible.
    You reserved it online, which therefore makes it subject to online selling law - you can return it within a reasonable time (usually 7 days).
    If they argue, make your point publicly and clearly near the tills or the most expensive gear, but make sure there are customers around.

5. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I would say you have the retailer for the cashback. Write to the head office with a photocopy of the receipt and the voucher. Simply saying fix this or else. The or else would be a claim in the small claims court. Not for the cashback but the cashback and your time billed at what you think it worth sorting out. Someone recently in the news billed a utility company for wasting their time. The court made them pay the invoice.

They have clearly mis-sold. Also complain to the manufacture. I am fairly sure they won't want their name damaged. If it is non photographic you could raise it with say a magazine like Computactive. They love story like this and have got things sort out for people in the past.

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

quite right
    as regards the best before it's a case of not wanting to be sued if someone doesn't store/use the product correctly...which I may have said in a previous thread...please forgive my trolling

7. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I was walking past my local comet today, pondered to myself after reading this thread and popped in to brows their cameras. I found another promotion for £75 off a £430 item. I asked the assistant about the camera and how to redeem the offer and at no point did he mention the promotion had ended on the 31st of August, six days ago. I mentioned this at an appropriate time, apologies red faces and leaflets taken away, with no camera sale.

One shop is us understandable, two is sloppy... how many more are still running expired promotions? The assistant was just not aware it had lapsed, but someone in the building must be responsible for keeping track of this kind of thing?

8. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

I used the Advertising Standards website to lodge a complaint and on our return from holiday a couple of days ago a reply was waiting. It says that they will not be taking further action and I quote verbatim the paragraph that explains their reason for this decision:

"Our main sanction lies in amending or removing advertisements that we consider to be in breach of the Code. I have checked the website in question and it appears that the offer has been removed. As it is no longer appearing there is little to gain from taking further action and I'm afraid we are unable to help you pursue a refund or compensation. However, if you see a current ad which you believe to be misleading please contact us again, and we will look into the matter."

A complete waste of time really . . . . . :D

9. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

That's absolutely shocking... I've made a similar mistake in the past, at the end of the day mistakes happen, and as every manufacturer seems so keen on cashbacks, usually extending them, sometimes even running different cashbacks with different ending dates for different products (Sony did one a while back on DSC, DSLR, Camcorders) then it's understandable that a shop or two is going to miss the update.

But not sorting this for you is useless! My sympathies.

10. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Thanks Tom - good to hear from you again. I hope all is well with you?

It's all just a giggle really. It was about buying a compact camera because carrying my DSLR stuff is becoming too much for me. The experience of using the compact while on holiday was such a disappointment that it puts the Comet episode into perspective.

I think it will be back to the 5D next time - and maybe the hire of a Sherpa . . . . . :)