1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Canon's GP-E2 - any experiences with it?

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I enjoy shooting city landscapes (like London's Canary Wharf and area) and I also like fully geotagging my shots the easy way - with a GPS enabled body with built-in compass. (I'm not into using a Smartphone.)

Currently I use an Eos 7D Mk II, but the crop factor means that my TS-E 45/F2.8 isn't that wide, and I'm wondering about moving to a suitable full-frame body, with a GP-E2 in the accessory shoe. So are there any "gotchas" that I ought to know about?

Many thanks

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Answering my own question...
    I've now bought a used Canon GP-E2 which came in good condition, but "as is" i.e. without the digital interface cable, but for me that wasn't a problem as I was mounting it on my Eos 5Ds - where it slides into the accessory show. Initially this was very stiff indeed, and it needed a drop of oil to ease it. In use, it's by far the fastest of my GPS receivers to become useful after "a sleep". Far faster than both my Eos 7D MkII, and faster than my Garmin GPSMap62. And, its compass works seamlessly with my 5Ds. So, I'm well pleased, particularly as the S/H purchase was around 50% of the price of a new one - which although shown as available on the website, was out of stock when I placed an order...

EightBitTony likes this.
  3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Useful to know, I've never found the GPS in the 7d2 reliable enough to use in a city centre, so I use my phone instead.