1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon 'Zoombrowser'.

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by zokko, Oct 15, 2015.

1. zokko

zokko Member

For around 10 years now, I have used Zoombrowser to download and file images from Canon and Panasonic Lumix cameras. On my new PC, I now have Windows 10, and I am told that Zoombrowser will not work with this, and further, I believe Canon no longer support it. I have been loading images to the PC by way of the card reader, and then creating folders for each date, which is a bit tiresome. Is there similar software to Zoombrowser which will carry out similar tasks, and work on Windows 10? Any advice would be most appreciated, thank you.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I haven't used zoombrowser for years. Looking at the canon site I am guessing that it is replaced by imagebrowser quite some time ago. If you have a solution disk you could always try installing it anyway. A new PC will be 64 bit which should run 32 bit programs but not if they have 16 bit components. The early Canon software used a registry key for validation. Once this is set the program can be updated from the website. Recently they changed to a serial number system.

Otherwise I can only suggest going to the webpage for your camera and downloading the latest imagebrowser version that is available. I would think (hopefully) that windows 8/7 programs would run under 10. If I look for available updates my latest camera (allready 5 years old) very little shows under windows 10 which I thought was effectively in an extended beta, being offered as free update to Win 8. I always used canon eos utility to do downloads but that won't work with the panasonic.

3. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Depending on how techy you wish to be, you could always run Zoombrowser in a virtual machine, hosted by Windows 10 on your new computer.

VirtualBox is free: https://www.virtualbox.org and works well. It's very easy to install, just as easy to create a new virtual machine and then install your guest operating system in it.

The only other thing you'll need is the Windows install disk from your old computer.

[​IMG]

4. zokko

zokko Member

Thank-you both for your replies, I shall try download 'Imagebrowser' and see if it works.

5. zokko

zokko Member

I have eventually got round to this. Downloaded Zoombrowser ex, version 6.5, to my new PC. Seems OK, except it does not like the hard-drive in my custom-built PC, called New Volume (A) where all pictures and documents are stored, as opposed to the C-drive, which is a 250 Gb flash-drive, for quick start-up.
    An error message appears, 'ZB module has stopped working' when I click on the A-drive.
    ZB will, however, retrieve pictures from my back-up, stand-alone 2Tb Seagate Expansion drive. At least I can use ZB, however any advice on the A-drive matter would be most appreciated, thank you.

6. PeteRob

many years ago Drive letters A and B were used for "floppy disks" and hard disks usec C upward. Whether some vestige of this still exists I din't know but you could try to change the Drive letter to something else like S: , say.

7. manxman2

manxman2 Well-Known Member

I, too, still use Zoombrowser but mainly as a friendly file viewer. It works perfectly on my my recently updated to Windows 10 pc.

8. zokko

zokko Member

PeteRob, thankyou for the reply.
    That did go through my mind after I had posted last night. Can changing the drive letter of the A-drive have any bad effects?
    I have not done this before. I presume, I have also to type the colon following the letter.
    Look forward to hearing from you, thankyou.

9. PeteRob

I can't remember how changing the Drive letter is done. I think it is in the disk management tool. I cannot remember if you need to supply the colon or not.

Last time I did it was because the saved backup instructions on my wife's PC wrote to G: but she had put in a memory stick so windows (8.1) kept naming the backup drive H: even if the music stick was removed. Much more simple if software used volume label instead.

With what I just wrote in mind it depends if any installed software explicitly uses A: in a stored path. A quick check would be to look at environment variables. A thorough check would be to search the registry but only if you know what you were doing. If A: is hardwired by software being installed then changing the drive letter would break it. I wasn't really thinking, all my software has always been installed on C: