1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon 'Zoombrowser' image handling.

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by zokko, May 5, 2014.

1. zokko

zokko Member

I am having a bit of trouble with this lately, it has become slower and has a tendency to 'freeze'. Does anyone know, is there a limit to the amount of data or files it can handle? My 'Our Picture' folder is 64Gb, and about 37,000 files, over around nine years of use, using first Win. ME, then Win XP from Sept. 2007 to now, with both Canon and Panasonic cameras. I would think, some users have more stored than this. I do not recall ever having updated 'Zoombrowser', perhaps it needs it. Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

2. tonycro

tonycro Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I haven't used it for ages. I use DPP instead. Certainly I would recommend to update but be sure it is to a Win XP compatible version. Go to canon.co.uk, look up support, select your camera, it should give you a software upgrade menu. I think zoombrowser tries to load everything in the folder (like DPP) so possibly it might get overloaded if there are thousands of files.

4. zokko

zokko Member

tonycro and PeteRob, thankyou for replies, most useful. I reckon, what I need is a full newer version of Zoombrowser, rather than updating, which may not be straightforward. I may look at DPP as well. Bit surprised we have that pictures!

5. PeteRob

the updates are usually 100% replacements but I have not updated zoombrowser for ages. DPP is primarily for raw files.

6. Sloper55

Sloper55 Member

Excuse my knowledge, DPP?

7. PeteRob

Digital Photo Professional. Canon bundles this alongside zoombrowser. It is excellent raw pricessor but is entirely separate program. I started using jpegs and zoombrowser back in 2007 but swapped to using raw only and DPP in 2008 - which is why my memory on zoombrowser isn't so good.