1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon Wild Lens - Weight

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Grierson, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Not wishing to divert the other thread but I am prompted to ask what others do about carrying an DSLR and long lens combination. I currently carry mine like a 'babe in arms'. Although I have done some research I have not yet seen a well documented/supported answer. Has anyone found an effective approach? Thanks - John

2. Grierson

The title should of course be Wildlife Lens!!

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

John, do not the Canon long teles have strap lugs so that an extra strap with quick releases can be attached to the lens closer to the front element and one of the camera lug rings and then the strap slung over the shoulder with the lens barrel along the ribs & camera body around/more behind the back of the person carrying? Or vice versa with the camera body sitting toward the front and lens facing rear? Tripod on a similar long strap can then go over the other shoulder for a measure of balance and spreading the load. Cheers, Oly

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If I am taking pictures then I do as you do. If I am not going far (e.g a RSPB reserve) and taking pictures then I carry on one shoulder using the lens strap. If going far then I use a back pack but then there is an unpacking interlude for use. Currently wondering about getting another backpack. Lowepro and Kata (now Manfrotto) do long lens bags. To find the bag on the Manfrotto site I had to use the model code from the Kata site. Although I can get the lens and camera combination inside my current bag, with the lens hood reversed, the protection is not optimum.

5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I use a Joby ultrafit sling attached to the tripod mount on my 100-400L.

6. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Being a weakling, I hardly ever hand-hold any of my big long lenses, so when using my heavy Canon lenses, I always use a Benbo One tripod fitted with a Manfrotto 393 gimbal head. This is transported in a wheeled "granny" style shopping trolley, and I carry my EF 500 F/4L IS in a LowePro Flipside 300 case on my back*. There's room for my 1.4x and 2x extenders as well, but I have to carry the camera separately. (The Flipside 300 also takes my 1D Mk IV with a 300 F/2.8L attached. I also have the larger Flipside 400 - sadly, despite being larger, it does not take my EF 500 F/4l IS! I think it's got thicker, less bendable walls.)
    Setting up is a slow process as I take time to get the tripod head truly vertical.

If I want to shoot "on the hoof", I don't bother with a tripod, and I fit the camera with an EF 70-300L zoom, or an EF 400 F/5.6L.

*I discovered the hard way that wheeling a USM lens (in its original Canon thickly padded case) in a trolley over poor surfaces can ruin the lens - in my case an EF 300 F/2.8L at the RSPB Welches Dam Reserve on the Ouse Washes.

7. Grierson

Thanks for the replies. Oly, my lens is a 10-400. It does not have any other attachments than the tripod ring. I did see that a chap in the 'states had fashioned a plate with lugs which attached to the tripod boss which seemed to allow an even distribution of weight but I have neither the tools or the metal working skills to replicate it.

MJB, I have not come across the Joby sling but I will have a look, thanks.

Malcolm/Pete. I am only blessed with one decent long lens. I was out at RSPB Bempton cliffs before Christmas but none of the other photographers seemed to be using any support to carry their lens/camera combinations. I can get the combo in to my bag with a struggle but I would ideally like a more instantly available facility. A sling which may provide a balanced distribution be the way to go. - John

8. PeteRob

The closest I have to a 100-400 is the 300 F4 IS / 400 F5.6. Attached to a camera either will just about fit in my shoulder bag (I think it is a Nova 400) if all the inserts are out. I tend to put the bag strap across my body and the camera with lens can just rest on the top between shooting taking care that the camera strap is around an arm in case they fall off. I must admit to some curiousity about the upcoming Fuiji 100-400 as on my E2 it'll be about the weight of my 1Div body I think.

What is Bempton cliffs like? I think it is about a 3 hour drive for me.

9. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Bempton Cliffs is an excellent RSPB reserve where at the right time (May, June) you should find puffins, gannets and masses of kittiwakes nesting on the ~400' high cliffs. Photographically, there is a problem - getting sunshine on the nests as the cliffs predominantly face NE, and can be in (deep) shadow for much of the day. I spent a weeks holiday in the area specifically for snapping birds on their nests (using Kodachrome 200 in 1986), and found the lighting quite frustrating - as was the snow, in June! With today's high ISOs it will be much easier, and results should be better..

10. Grierson

Agreed. I am not a serious bird enthusiast but I enjoy the challenge of photographing them, Bemton being only 50 minutes or so away from me. The site has received a fair bit of investment in recent times with a nice reception centre, good mettled paths and viewing positions. Well worth a visit.

11. PeteRob

Thanks both, one to plan for then!

12. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip about Bemton Cliffs and next time I am in York I will make an effort to get there. However whilst we are on the subject of Puffins can I recommend the Farne Islands? A bit further North than Bemton and needing a boat trip to get there there an abundance of Puffins, Seals etc. An overnight stay is probably needed so it might be expensive.

When I was last there I took a 6D with 24-105mm plus an Olympus E5 with 70-300mm both hand held and relatively easy to carry.