1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon SX430 questions please.

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Pete Bony, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

I am in the process of buying a new Canon SX430 (£36.85 brand new which seems very cheap to me) but I have a couple of questions that I can not find the answers to from the Canon's SX430 spec.

First question - Does anyone know what thread size it is on the front of the lens for a filter?
    Second question - Can a ring flash/external flash be fitted and synced up to the camera?

Many thanks (In advance) to anyone who can answer either or both questions for me.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

That's too cheap. I would be very suspicious.

4. Pete Bony

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Those superzoom compacts tend not to have filter threads. Pictures of it don't show a hot shoe so I think the chances are that you can't use it with an external flash. A ringflash is very unlikely to fit because of the way the lens extends. As others said the price is wrong. It is a loss to the seller (unless they didn't pay for it) if it works.

6. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

7. Pete Bony

Possibly so, we will have to wait and see. I will give it a few days and if I haven't heard that it has been dispatched or anything I will contact both e-bay and my credit card company (I just double checked and it was my credit card I used to pay for it so I will have some sort of buyers protection if things go belly up anyhow.
    Who knows, I might even get a pleasant surprise and receive a new Canon SX430 without any problems after all.

Edit: E-bay will normally favour the buyer in the biggest majority of disputes!

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Ebay won't be able to help if he's a crook and disappears. Paypal might, but your credit card won't, as the purchase has to be over £100 for Section 75 protection.

9. Pete Bony

Thank you for your confidence inspiring words!

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Sorry! Best of luck with it, of course.

11. Pete Bony

Well it looks like the brown stuff has just hit the fan! Because the seller changed the listing a few times today e-bay have removed the listing. I have just finished speaking to them and they are blocking the payment which appears to have gone through Paypal even though i used my credit card to pay. I will also phone my credit card company first thing tomorrow morning and try to get them to block the payment as it does seem that it is a fraudulent transaction.
    Fingers crossed!

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Mine too. Good luck.

13. Pete Bony

Yes, at least the E-Bay operative that I spoke to was extremely confident that I would get my full payment back.
    Once again I live and learn!

Benchista likes this.
  14. Pete Bony

A lot of agro but Paypal have agreed to give me a full refund within 4 to 5 days. At least I have not lost out.

Scphoto, EightBitTony and Benchista like this.
  15. Pete Bony

I have now had my refund from Paypal and have learned a valuable lesson from the experience. I still wanted a "Bridge Camera" so I have now ordered and paid for pre-owned Canon SX50 (Said to be in very good condition with very little use) from a very reputable seller. Hopefully it will be arriving on either Monday or Tuesday so I will have yet another toy to play about with and get used to using. It has a hotshoe so my ring flash should fit and work on it and with the 58mm adaptor ring that I have coming I should be able to try my Raynox DCR250 on it too.
    Hopefully all's well that ends well!

16. Pete Bony

The SX50 has arrived today along with a new charger (It did not have a charger with it) and an adaptor ring to co on the front of the lens. I am going through a few on-line tutorials to get used to what each button does and trying different things. From what I have tried I have to say that I am delighted with the general feel and condition of the camera and the quality of the photos it takes, and that includes a macro photo took with the Raynox DCR50 lens fitted on the front using just the pop up flash.
    Once I have got used to the functions on the SX50 I will (Hopefully) put a few pictures up. In the mean time here is one I tried with the Raynox DCR250 fitted using the pop up flash while hand held.
    To say that so far I am delighted with the SX50 is a bit of an under statement.
    001.JPG

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  17. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That's nice. I'm surprised that it takes an adaptor ring. Great that it does! My wife used an SX40 HS for ages and was very pleased with it.

18. Pete Bony