1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon shutter count - HELP

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by pixelpuffin, Jun 30, 2018.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I'm really unsure what to do
    I'm not computer savvy at all, infact I'm frightened to death of my Win10 laptop.
    Bad memories from previous laptop that was full of malware, Trojans after attempting free downloads years ago has made me stay away from all free temptations.

I currently have a 7d and 100d with another 7d arriving shortly. Yes, I know these are relics but for my simple needs and wants they are perfect. However I'm really wanting to learn the shutter actuations. I've looked at the Eoscount website and even risked their download which didn't work and which cannot be removed/deleted as a window pops up stating only a administrator can delete??? God, not again!!!

Can anyone offer any help.
    Ideally I would love a desktop icon that I simply click, connect the camera and activate....is their anything out there??

This is really making me angry with canon, I'm beginning to despise the fact they sell the cameras but don't offer the buyer any means of keeping track of shutter actuations...ridiculous

2. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Have you tried EOSInfo ?

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I think PP's problem is his self confessed computer phobia. I strongly suggest contacting his local U3A and enquiring about computer courses.

4. pixelpuffin

Hi Gezza

No, I haven't
    Is it relatively easy to download and use?
    Do you use it?

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Keep Win10 up-to-date, the built in anti-virus is pretty good. I run a commercial anti-virus as belt and braces. You are right to be wary of "free" downloads in general and especially avoid sites that host other people's software. Never ever download then run or open anything. Always explicitly virus check it first. I can't remember if you can do a dedicated scan with windows defender (the Win 10 built in anti-virus) as I always scan with Norton.

The shutter should be good for at least 150,000 actuations. I'd expect anything nearing that to look pretty shabby. I don't know what use it is knowing the shutter count - the camera either works or it doesn't. If you buy used w/o a warranty then you take some risk. Learning it has a shutter count of 6,000 may give you a warm glow but learning it is 60,000 probably won't. If you are concerned then get it serviced. A canon service centre will be able to tell you the shutter status if you really want to know it.

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yes, right click on a file brings up this menu (or a similar one)...
    menu.jpg
    Though without the scraggly red arrow, obviously!

7. pixelpuffin

Is that said tongue in cheek?
    I only use my laptop for editing pictures, the fact that I even use Win10 photo editing software speaks volumes in itself, I'm just not that hung up on absolute quality or gear. Maybe I'm getting old? My web surfing is done on my ancient iPhone 4S, which is fine for my needs (I'm using the 4S typing this).
    If I can't get a simple plug & play program ill contact a local camera repairer and ask if they can read all three cameras, if they charge me then that's fine.

But back to canon and their reluctance to address this problem with their own official download is making me question whether to stay loyal? They expect buyers to fork out a couple of grand on gear but no means to check something as significant as shutter actuations. The 7d and 70-300l are perfect for my needs but I won't be beholden and I will look elsewhere when I eventually think the time has come to make a upgrade.

It's laughable that such a big brand is trailing behind others in giving buyers what they want.

8. pixelpuffin

Sorry I didn't see all the recent replies as I was busy stabbing my phone in a feeble attempt to type.

Thanks SXH
    I'll take a closer look this evening, got to go back outside - spent the past year building walls around my house.....almost there!! Yay

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I really don't know why you would even want to know - what can you possibly gain from the info?

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Adrew,

I can imagine few things more ghastly. Especially for someone who dislikes/ mistrusts computers.

Cheers,

R.

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

But, if you buy a camera new you know (at least roughly) how many pictures you take! Over 10 years I've kept 20,000 - so probably I took 60,000 and that's across 4 cameras!

12. pixelpuffin

God it's hot, just come back in to cool off...jeez, not complaining just not used to it.

@ Benchista
    Like I mentioned in my OP, I've just grabbed another used 7d simply because pitch side with the 70-300l I was missing too many close shots, the 7d I just grabbed comes with a standard wide zoom. Not L but for my occasional needs will be fine. I couldn't face having a different model and having to always ensure I had both battery packs. The seller didn't know the shutter count but the camera looks as clean or cleaner than my own, so I'm curios. My own 7d which I've had 2yrs only had 1500 on the clock, the last match I covered I added 1600! Plus all the previous matches over the course of 2yrs. I'd just like to know what the count is whilst the football season is dormant. I also grabbed a 100d last year (impulse buy) never used it and may relist once the 2nd 7d comes in.
    @ PeteRob
    Just to clarify, I have never bought a SLR or DSLR new in my life, could never justify the outlay for the amount of use it would get. Photography takes up very little of my time these days and using a DSLR kit even less so. Used a Panasonic TZ70 compact last weekend to video and photograph my sons football day out at a nearby water park. It handled it with aplomb, came away with mixed feelings on big proper cameras. So I doubt I'll ever invest in buying new now.

13. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Have you tried running Eoscount as an administrator (right click on the program icon) or tried the add/remove programs under Windows settings?

A camera shop may check the count for you, I expect they use downloaded software but at least any malware will be on their machine.

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, but why? What do you think you'll learn from it?

15. pixelpuffin

Isn't that like asking why sell your used car and buy another used car?

I never use the camera out of single shot mode, not ever
    If the shutter count is say 70k then I'll be questioning the release buttons remaining lifespan.
    The camera that's on its way, could be for all I know worn out despite having no marks. If the previous owner has just machine gunned everything at 8fos then I would want to know. A good indicator would be an excessively high shutter count despite pristine exterior.

But, why is it Panasonic and Nikon and Pentax offer this function but not canon? (Just to add I think I got the right brands there)
    Sorry but I would like to know these facts, I don't see a problem with wanting to know

16. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

It must be available somehow - MPB list shutter counts for nearly all the Canon DSLRs they list - just not the beginners-level ones.

17. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

It's not officially available for all Canon cameras. Sometimes it's embedded in RAW files, sometimes it's available by querying the camera, but Canon don't publish any official method. So you should take all numbers with a grain of salt.

Having said that, I've used ShutterCount - https://www.direstudio.com/shuttercount/ - but it doesn't look like you can buy the Windows version any more on their website.

18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Quite the opposite. In real life I was once involved in training older people how to use their computers. Many admitted to being phobic and this was often because they'd never worked out how to do the basics. The organisation that I worked for is long defunct but the U3A has taken on much of the same work and offers very good training at various levels. As it's delivered by members for members the people running the courses often have a lot of experience in working out the root of the trainee's problems and helping them to overcome them. It's not about becoming a nerd - just about feeling comfortable with the basics.

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Because Canon know it's completely useless information of no benefit to anybody. It tells you absolutely nothing worthwhile.

20. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Then why do they bother counting it/them?
    Or guarantee the shutter only up to a certain count?