1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon Printer stopped printing colour

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by dangie, Aug 26, 2018.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Something has suddenly happened to my 'ageing' Canon Pixma printer. It was fine two days ago.

Suddenly it had stopped printing any colour. It will only print black through it's black cartridge.

I've typed a row of text selecting different colours for the words but only those in black will print. There is absolutely nothing printed for the words in colour.

My first thought was maybe a clogged print head, but thought it highly unlikely that all colours would be blocked at once.

The option to print in greyscale is not ticked.

I've performed a few deep head cleans with no success.

Any ideas?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

no idea. Try printing test page/head alignment - those are hardwired in the printer and not dependent on anything the computer would do. You could check supply levels if that information is available but my Canon won't print anything if it knows it's out of one colour of ink.

3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Thanks Pete
    I've tried the test print plus a few deep cleansing but nothing.
    Was slightly wrong when I said it was ok two days ago, it printed a picture ok only last night.
    If all else fails I'll bite the bullet and remove the head and clean it. There are a few YouTube videos on it.
    If it fails then it's a new printer. It's over 10 years old so doesn't owe me anything.

4. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

My old Pixma (MP510)was the same Pete.
    My new MG5750 though will print greyscale if one of the colours goes.I think it`s much more electronics oriented.Does that make sense?

5. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Thanks again
    Just for information, when printing the print head moves across the paper normally, making all the right noises, but absolutely no colour, not a thing. Think I might have to bite the bullet and attempt a head clean. Nothing to loose.

6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Quick update.
    For unknown reason colour has began to print again. Maybe all the Deep Cleaning cycles had some effect.
    However lines still appearing on print, so still looking towards a manual head clean. Nothing to loose.

7. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Think I spoke too soon.
    For another unknown reason back to square one this morning. No colour whatsoever only black (even when doing nozzle check).

8. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Time for a new printer I think! My last Canon printer cost £19.99.

9. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I fear you are correct.

10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

The times when a well-targetted kick or hit with a suitable tool are, unfortunately, long past......................

Lynn