1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon Lens 28-135 IS USM

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ramsey, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Ramsey

Ramsey Well-Known Member

Anyone out there with experience of this lens? I've been offered one in mint condition for £299. This looks a good price but I'm more interested in any users for a review.

Cheers

Ian /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

2. 0

0 Guest

West Base are advertising them new for £329.99.

Steve

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's an excellent lens for the money - the best non-L Canon zoom, and IS is great. That said, new ones aren't much more at various places. Great for travel.

Nick BSRIPN

4. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

I've read recently that a lot of places are out of stock of them and Canon UK aren't supplying dealers at present. Possibly there is a 24-135mmIS on the way. Some people reported that the asking price has gone up by around £70 as well.

Canon tend to be like that anyway. For example I've been after the STE2 flash trigger for weeks and finally they are due in this Friday.

I've got one and I would recommend it. If they are around new at £330ish still then the price you have been quoted for a non-warranty purchase may be a little high. Does it come with a filter - 72mm are quite pricey, and how about a lens hood - they are quite dear as well so if you are getting the lens plus a hood plus a decent protective filter the price looks more attractive.

p.s. just found this thread, but take the contributers comments with a large pinch of salt
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=4817080

Pete <font color=red>CRIPN</font color=blue>

5. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Ian,

The 28-135 is an excellent lens and I have it attached 95% of the time.

Bawbee

6. rkilpin

rkilpin Well-Known Member

I too have the 28-135, its a very good lens. i have only recently stoped using it in favour of prime lenses, such as my 15mm, 20mm, 28mm, 50mm, and 100 f2.

7. I also use this as my default lens - and thoroughly recommend it.

Gary

8. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Robert,

Good to see you back.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack

It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

9. rkilpin

rkilpin Well-Known Member

been lurking about for a few weeks now Jack. i gather you are enjoying your stay in england?

10. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

" i gather you are enjoying your stay in england?"

Hi Robert,

Unfortunately, it is now "enjoyed" although I think I left
    just in time (April 7th) because I heard a day or two later
    England was struck with a cold snap of weather/img/wwwthreads/frown.gif.

But you are correct I did enjoy myself while in England.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack

It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

11. tamos

tamos Member

I've got one and I'm very happy with the results I've been getting from it. The image stabiliser really works. I have heard that a 24-135 is on the way.

12. robbybobby

robbybobby Well-Known Member

Have Canon confirmed this? It would be good, lets just hope it's not too expensive./img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Rob FRIPN

If something isn't worth doing, it's worth forgetting about.