1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon fit wide angle zoom lens

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by redbirduk, Oct 29, 2020.

1. redbirduk

redbirduk Member

Hi im looking for a wide angle zoom lens.

Ideally it would be a Canon EF fit but can be a ef-s fit.

The lens i have been considering is the sigma 10-20mm f 3.5 ex dc hsm lens, reasons being i seen lots of good reviews but also the price point. The 3.5 aperture across the range is also great for the price ( i would love it to be 2.8 but i don’t have over a grand to drop on a lens).

I have up to £500 to spend on the lens, ideally with a similar zoom range as the sigma and hopefully with good af and as quick as possible across the vocal ranges.

The only reason i haven’t brought the sigma is the fact its at least 10 years old and i imagine there must be a better option, also i would prefer a EF fit for when i upgrade my camera in the future, but if the other categories are all met I would be open to compromise on the fit.

Hopefully that all makes sense and isn’t to off a boring question, any help would be great fully appreciated

Many Thanks

2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I have one of the older model Sigma 10-20 lenses, and have never found the maximum aperture (F4.5 - F5.6) to be a problem since its best image sharpness appears to occur at F8 - F11 (the classic '2 stops down from fully open' situation)' and I use it mostly for landscape shots. I have a 16 megapixel DSLR body that it's used on, and have some decent 75 x 50 cm prints produced from shots taken with it. Recently I have seen these advertised for under £200 second hand by AP's reputable advertisers.

If you want to use a lens like this outside, don't make the expensive mistake of buying a polarising filter to use with it - the angle of view at the wide end of the zoom is too great for the filter to work correctly. I found a circular neutral density graduated filter ('ND grad') that I have used for all my outdoors work for the last 8 years. You can get a lot of sky in the shot with a lens like this.

Also, if you found a lens like this with an F2.8 maximum aperture it would be much more expensive, larger and heavier. The size and weighty might not appear relevant - until you have to carry it attached to your camera body.

redbirduk likes this.
  3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Also consider the Sigma 12-24mm f4.5-5.6 EX DG Lens. I have one, but I rarely use it on FF.

Depends what you want to use the lens for.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I’ve not used it but I think the EF-S 10-22 mm has quite a good reputation. This has the field of view of the EF 16-35 mm on full frame which is my wide-angle lens. To me anything less than 16 mm on full frame is getting a bit extreme so
    I’d just check that you’d actually want such a wide EF. That said my son uses a Sigma 12-24 EF Art on his 6D.

5. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I have the EFS 10-18mm lens - I haven't used it a lot, but so far its been fine.

6. redbirduk

redbirduk Member

Thanks for all your replies , given me plenty to look into thanks

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Given the statement than EF-S fit would be okay, I suspect the OP has a crop-sensor Canon anyway, so the lens they mention would indeed be 16mm.

8. EightBitTony

I haven't enjoyed the EF-S 10-20mm, maybe technique, maybe situational, but the shots always disappointed me for quality.

I did use an old Sigma 10-20mm early on (2016?) and I was much more impressed with that (I borrowed it from a friend, can't remember which one it was, but I bought the Canon EF-S after enjoying the shots from the Sigma and was never as happy).

redbirduk likes this.
  9. redbirduk

redbirduk Member

Thanks for the reply’s, I currently have a canon 60d this am able to use the Ef s fit lens, ideally I would get an Ef fit as in the future I am looking at upgrading to full frame but can’t yet decide upon a DSLR or a mirrorless system.
    Reading your reply’s I remembered that if I do get an ef fit it the focal lengths changes when on my camera.
    Thanks again and my search continues!

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The focal length doesn’t change (that’s a property of the lens) but you get a wider field of view because you capture a 2.56 times bigger area of the image formed in the plane of the sensor. It is customary to refer to an “effective” focal length on APS-C meaning the focal length that on full-frame that gives the same angle of view. So a 10 mm lens on APS-C has an “effective focal length” of a 16 mm on full frame. 10 mm on full frame is hugely wide. Standing up you’d definitely have your feet in the picture!

redbirduk and ChrisNewman like this.
  11. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Somebody I used to work with purchased the Canon 10-18 for his half-frame APS-C Canon camera body, after asking for my suggestion and being advised to look for a used old-model Sigma 10-20. At the time the Canon (new) was about the same price as a used Sigma, but he was afraid of buying a used lens, even from a reputable dealer (I suggested LCE). After a few weeks, a relative of his loaned him a Sigma and he compared the lenses and the images he got. He then sold the Canon lens on eBay (and lost £100) and found a nice used Sigma. I chose not to make any 'told you so' comment when he told me.

My Sigma has a Pentax K fit, so I couldn't loan it to him to test on his camera body.

12. EightBitTony

Er 10-18.

Lots of folk have really rated the EF-S lens, so I'm not sure if it's my fault, or the lenses have variable build quality, or I'm expecting too much, but either way, I've not used it for a long time.

13. redbirduk

redbirduk Member

Thanks for the recommendations and reviews, all the reviews I have read and from what you guys have said both the 10-18mm and the 10-20mm Are rated highly I think it will just depend on what price I can find a good version of either of them for.

14. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

But no good if you are moving to FF. If it is for your current camera, enjoy.

15. redbirduk

redbirduk Member

Very true but with all the positive reviews and the price point of the two that have been recommended I think I will get one of those and think about a new set for when I up grade

16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've owned 2 Sigma ultrawide zooms. The original 17-35mm worked well on my Canon Eos 5 film camera but never seemed quite right on my Canon 5D. As time went on, the lens seemed to develop some kind of misallignment with the left side of the image never quite as sharp as the right. The 10-20mm on my Canon 40D was adequate but never quite gave me what I wanted in terms of sharpness or contrast. The Sigma Art lenses I tried for M43 were adequate but not sparkling.

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Andrew, not wishing to be critical but by M43 I trust you mean M 4/3 or Micro four thirds. I mention this because the thread of the old Pentax/Praktica lens mount was M42.

18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

To be clear: Micro Four Thirds. :D

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Thank you.

It is very easy to forget that this forum is visible to anyone who so desires. We may well have known exactly what you meant but someone stumbling across this page might possibly have concluded that Sigma Art lenses were available in M42 fit.