1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon EOS300 versus Nikon F65

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Lothlorien, Jun 29, 2001.

1. Lothlorien

Lothlorien Member

I want to buy an SLR camera - my first one - but can not decide between Canon EOS300 & Nikon F65 because I can't see much difference .Some people suggested I should buy Nikon F80 but I found it much more expensive , does it worth it or should I spend this money in equipment , lences , filters etc. Thanks in advance for any help.

Lothlorien

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Responses in the Nikon room!

Nick

3. ydoyle

ydoyle Member

I had the same question when I set out to buy my first SLR. The functionality of the two cameras are much the same, with each one having something that the other doesn't.

I finally settled in a Canon EOS300, with 28-90 lens, and I've had no complaints so far.

When I was buying mine I was advised that Nikon will survive better if it's knocked around a bit, but they are heavier than the Canon. You have to keep it in mind that you will be carrying it around for extended periods, and if it's too heavy that's a pain. The Canon is easier to manage if you have small hands.

And if you're anythint like me and are a terror when it comes to using VISA, you are going to find that you're going to want to buy those gadgets to go along with the camera, like filters, tripod, hood, and the next lens that will take that picture that you're current one wouldn't. Basically no matter which camera you buy you're going to end up buying acessories anyhow.

Yvonne

4. Dan

Dan Member

I went through the exact same dilemma a few months ago when choosing my first SLR, but I plumped for the 300 with the 35-80mm zoom. The reasons - well I found the Canon more intuitive to use, and was impressed by the massive range of lenses and accessories from Canon, and from 3rd party companies. The guy in the shop also raved about the metering and the autofocus, suggesting that both were worthy of drastically more expensive kit.

So far I'm not disappointed, having rattled off a dozen or so rolls of film and been staggered by some of the results (among the expected complete failures but never mind :eek:( !). This is an incredible camera in terms of what it does, although the scarily light weight and masses of plastic would discourage me from buying one for hard or heavy use.

I've since added a Canon 75-300 USM mk3 and a Jessops tripod. Time will tell how good the build really is, although friends with older EOS models swear by their reliability. I get the distinct impression I will hang on to this until it dies, or unless I can afford to spend a heck of a lot more.

Cheers
    Dan

5. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

If you eventually "outgrow" the 300 you can always buy a flashier EOS body and keep the 300 as a second body. I have used EOS cameras for some time now and although the cheaper ones do look flimsy, in reality they are a lot tougher than they look and last as well, if not better, than any other similar camera.
    BigWill

6. Britcat100

Britcat100 Active Member

I went through the exact same dilemma myself in May...I was finally swayed to buy the F80 (following much advice by both Canon and Nikon users) and I love it, I haven't had the opportunity to reel off more than about 12 films since then but some of the 'better' results are on the members gallery if you want to look although it has to be said that they are scanned prints and have lost a bit through that process.
    Buy the F80 and make Jessops price match the cheapest quote you can find, or indeed be a bit manipulative and go into another local shop, as I did, and say "Oh I can get that cheaper in Jessops...", give them a lower price, get them to price match it and then go into jessops with it all on a bit of paper and get them to price match your new figure and they are bound to throw in a couple of freebies...
    I recently got Jessops to price match a company in essex for a 70-300 D lens cutting Jessops price form £189 to £108 - Ha! theres consumer control for you...best of luck and enjoy what ever you decide to buy.
    Niall