1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Canon EOS M6 (+optional EVF) vs EOS M50

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by EightBitTony, Jul 16, 2020.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Ages ago, I bought a Canon M6 and after trying it for a while, decided I needed the optional EVF because I really wasn't getting on with the rear screen only.

For some reason (explained in the original thread) I never really got used to the camera even with the optional EVF and always felt a bit self conscious using it. It was a capable camera, but I never felt at home with it.

I bought a second hand M50, which has a standard DSLR 'look' although much smaller, and a built in EVF.

I loved it. Easy to use, felt 'normal'.

Both of them have idiosyncrasies that I've had to work around. The M6 has a rear touch screen, and I was always* changing settings accidentally, also despite having it set to eco mode and aggressively turning the screen off, any movement of the camera re-activates the screen so I took to turning the camera off and on all the time while using it as a 'walkabout', which was inconvenient at best. But the M6 has a better build quality, feels more robust, and has more dials making changing settings a little quicker.

The M50 has a fold away screen, so it's much easier to avoid changing any settings accidentally, but equally it means pulling the screen out if you want to review pictures without holding the viewfinder up to your eye.

Both of them share some button features and locations but there are just enough differences that you have to be on your toes if using them both.

One thing they both share is a much shorter battery life than either of my DSLR's**.

Anyway, the M6 was put back in a box and I told myself I'd sell it on once I could get around to it, and the M50 has been my go-to when I wanted something light.

I've been planning to walk from my house, along the canal and Trent in to the city. It's only a little over 10 miles but I'm not very fit and want to give it a go. So I thought, rather than carry the heavy camera, I'd take the M50, and rather than run out of battery along the way, I'd take the M6 as well and try and tolerate it. That would also let me use two lenses without having to change them each time, and the total weight is still less than one DSLR and two lenses.

I reconfigured my backpack, popped the two small cameras in, but haven't yet done the walk. I did however, pop in to the city centre yesterday, and I used the M6 extensively (it had the lens on it that I wanted to use, so I gave it a go rather than swapping it over).

And it's fine.

No self conscious issue, no technical problems (now I've found the option to manually set the viewfinder as the only display when it's attached).

What a difference a few months make - I wonder now if the main problem was getting used to a small form factor camera, and the other issues with the M6 were just tipping me over the edge. Once I've gotten used to the M50 (and it was easier than the M6, no doubt about that), the M6 seems more natural.

I still can't live without the viewfinder, even though I used the M6 again today briefly without it (in some situations, it's just easier without it), but I no longer have whatever the issue was with it that I did initially.

Canon EOS M6 and EOS M50, both very nice cameras.

As a side note, I've also set them both to Picture Mode Monochrome, which means the viewfinder and rear screen show monochrome images, but since I shoot in RAW, I still get all the colour info when important to Lightroom. It's making looking through the viewfinder more exciting and giving me different things to think about when setting up shots.

* sometimes
    ** the M6 and M50 also, annoyingly, use different batteries.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I was happily using both and swapping between them until I decided to upgrade the M6 to the M6 II because I would be travelling a lot more this year. Ha! Got that one so right! :) The M6 II does solve my few issues with the M6, and I've come to love the little thing, even though it's only had one trip back in January. I've used it more than anything in lockdown.

Picked up my M50 a couple of weeks ago for literally the first time this year, and I still love it.

These are for me the perfect cameras for travel. Small and light, easy to carry everywhere, with just enough lens choice for me to be happy. I can carry an extensive kit for the size and weight of one DSLR and walkabout lens, or I can go a lot more lightweight.

Yes, the battery issue is a pain. Aside from that, these suit me down to the ground for most things.

EightBitTony likes this.
  3. EightBitTony

Yeh I like the look of the M6II, but no spare cash in my future. I have the adapter and it worked fine with my 24-105 the one time I had a bash with it. I actually think the Sigma 17-50 would work really well on it as well. Even with the adapter and the fact that the 24-105 is heavy, it was still less weight than the 7d2, and it balanced okay.

I still only have the 22mm f2 and the 15-45mm native lenses. I keep thinking about the 18-150 or the 55-200, but again, just no spare cash.

4. EightBitTony

Also, just seen this.

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-m50-mark-ii-coming-in-2020-cr2/

After today’s post about a higher-end APS-C camera coming to either the EOS M lineup or EOS R lineup, I have been told that the successor to the Canon EOS M50 will be coming in the last quarter of 2020 in Japan, but may not be released until early 2021 in the rest of the world.

This will not be an EOS 7D Mark II type replacement, but a big upgrade over its predecessor. By most accounts, the EOS M50 is surprisingly Canon’s best selling ILC. It has even done very well in North America and Europe.​

5. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Yes, I've been waiting for the M5 mkii as well and following the rumours.