1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon EOS M6 - First Thoughts

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by EightBitTony, Dec 4, 2017.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I can't comment on your camera, however I had an Olympus that had no viewfinder and it drove me mad. Just a bit of sun rendered the screen useless so I ended up spending a fortune on an EVF for it. I then lost the EVF. I then moved on to a camera with a touchscreen and more importantly a built in VF.
    I'd bet money you end up buying one!

EightBitTony likes this.
  2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Well, I'm still working on the principle that,

1. if I'm going somewhere and planning to take photographs, I'll have a camera bag and I'll have the 7d2
    2. otherwise, I can throw the M6 in the car, or in a big pocket, or in a regular rucksack, and if I see something I can at least take a photograph with something that has an APS-C sensor.

At the moment, I'm using the M6 exclusively so that I get used to it, and so that it doesn't become a chore to quickly pick it up and shoot with it, but I'll go back to the 7d2 when I'm setting out to take photographs. It's just having something more portable with me all the time when I wasn't planning a specific trip out, and so I'm hoping I won't end up with the £200 EFV add-on.

3. dream_police

TBF though, it may have been just a poor screen on the Oly. The screen on my GX80 is far better than the Oly's (albeit for most things I prefer the VF)

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

My guess is you will. I've had 4 cameras without viewfinders (still have the E-PL5) and my experience is that they are fine much of the time and utterly hopeless the rest of the time. On the other hand everyone's mileage varies. ;)

5. dream_police

Mine was the E-PL7 and it was crap.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Sad to hear. The E-PL5 is quite nice if the sun isn't bright. The camera handles quite well with the E-VF2 fitted.

7. dream_police

No, the camera itself was fine. Just the screen in light conditions. It made more sense to pass that camera on than buy a new EVF, and then buy myself a newer camera. If I still had the EVF I would still have the camera.

8. EightBitTony

I caved in and ordered the EVF-DC2. Arrives today some time. I'm just not using the camera enough because I really don't enjoy the experience of holding it up at arms length and using the back LCD screen as the viewfinder. You can't hold it like you do a camera, so it's not the same experience.

Hopefully the EVF-DC2 helps me exploit the camera more.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  9. EightBitTony

How much did you place on that bet? You're a winner!

Done_rundleCams and dream_police like this.
  10. EightBitTony

It arrived. That is a very expensive but gorgeous piece of equipment. Immediately felt more comfortable using the M6 and it's tiny enough to easily put in the pouch I already have and have it on hand when I need it.

11. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I have an Eos M and the EF-M 22 F/2. Small, both very nicely built, but just where in the world can anyone see anything useful on the LCD during normal daylight? I've thought about but have held off buying am M5, and now with your glowing report, you've got me wondering about getting an M6 & V/F.

12. EightBitTony

The EVF-DC2 is about £180 on Amazon, so make sure it's still cheaper to get the M6+that than it is the M5. However, the build feels solid, even though it's tiny. It has a dioptre which is nice, auto detects when it's against your eye and turns off the lcd (and hence the touch screen), The screen is super clear, but there is a tiny big of lag. I was looking around the room here, and there's a moving fan, and the judder in the EVF that it caused was a little disconcerting, but it's a challenging thing to point any EVF at I guess.

The connection to the top of the camera is nice and solid, I was worried it might feel fragile, but it really does click solidly in to place and resists the pressure of my eye very well.

Very pleased.

13. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Or, Malcolm, you could go with the M50 w/ a built-in viewfinder, the latest Digic processor (8), a shedload more focus points (149) and along with, allegedly and
    according to DPR, the same battery as your original EOS M so you get a free extra battery and charger unless, of course, you flog your EOS M ;) Having
    said all that, I've played with the M6 and the EVF and, as Tony states, it is a decent title combo :), although, personally speaking, having opted for an add-on
    viewfinder -- my Ricoh GR --, I'd much rather go with a built-in viewfinder :)

And, Malcolm, if you happen to find yourself in Vancouver in the next little while, I do have, in stock, an EVF-DC2, which I
    would love to sell to a good home :)

Cheers,

Jack

EightBitTony likes this.
  14. EightBitTony

There's always a better body somewhere.

I did read a quote the other day, "Every significant photograph in history was taken on a camera worse than the one you own". Made me think.

15. Done_rundleCams

This coming from someone, me, who only uses the centre point focus :D and, yep ;)

jack

16. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Hi Jack,
    Thanks for the invitation.
    I believe that I've flown over Canada, but certainly haven't been there at ground level. Sadly, I currently don't have a valid passport, so I have a few preparations to make first...

17. Done_rundleCams

Okey Doke, Malcolm, looking forward to seeing you :). As well, if we happen to sell it before your arrival, I'll
    be sure to let you know :)

Cheers,

Jack

18. manxman2

manxman2 Well-Known Member

If anyone is still reading this thread I would add that I have replaced my original Eos M with an Eos M50 and the difference is amazing. The M50 is a great little camera. Vive la viewfinder!