1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon EOS M6 - First Thoughts

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by EightBitTony, Dec 4, 2017.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Bought an EOS M6, it arrived late yesterday along with the kit 15-45mm lens.

First impressions are that it's lovely. Great size, fits well in my hands but is still nice and small and very light.

The autofocus is nice and quick (even in low light conditions), and the continuous shooting is really quick, blows my expectations away.

I'm still really nervous about not having a view finder (unless I fancy shelling out another £200), but the touch screen LCD is really intuitive very quickly, and I intend to give it a really good go to see if I can get on with it.

Arriving today is the EF-M 22mm f/2 lens, which I intend to put on the camera and then not take off until well into the new year. I'm planning on carrying that combination with me where-ever I go, and trying to get some street stuff done in the run up to Christmas (weather permitting).

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. EightBitTony

So,
    1. it's too easy to change the ISO using the dial under the exposure compensation dial. I may have to disable that dial. Maybe it's how I hold it, but in a short outing today I found I'd changed the ISO to 256,000 at one point, and then 100 at another (from the starting point of auto).
    2. compared to the 7d2, it's light but also, slightly harder to just carry in my hand. The 7d2 hangs from my fingers, but this is too small, so I find myself having to curl my fingers or carry it in the palm of my hand. I'll need to find a better method.
    3. I'm pretty terrible at getting pictures level with the 7d2. I'm utterly atrocious with the m6. Embarrassingly so. Must try harder.
    Otherwise, it's good, the lack of view finder is still going to take some time to get used to. More practice needed.

3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I will be interested to see how you get on Tony. I have just bought a used Fuji XPro1 which is very different to my 7DII and other Canon DSLRs.

I would think the M6 suits your style, good luck. Will you get an adapter for your ef/efs lenses?

4. EightBitTony

Yep, bought the adapter, although even the 'short' 17-50 Sigma lens looks ridiculous on the M6 body. To be honest, I've struggled with really short focal range street stuff (after starting out quite confidently, I gradually lost confidence with it) - and I'm hoping the 22mm prime will force my hand, but we'll see how it goes.

Done_rundleCams and RogerMac like this.
  5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update, I am going down roughly the same route so user impressions are welcome. Finding far too many good choices! and I can not even decide whether I want a fixed lens or an exchangeable lens model.

6. EightBitTony

In the end, I decided I wanted an APSC sized sensor, I like the Canon menu, and I wanted the option to re-use lenses and not have to immediately buy into a new lens system, that drove me to the M6. It's probably not best of breed, and I might have found a Fuji more accessible. Certainly, with the Fuji's it's easier to find a model with a viewfinder at a good price, but you immediately pay out for a lens so ...

I need to keep reminding myself this is a walkabout - always on me - general purpose camera, and not a replacement for my 7d2, but equally, I need to put the time in with it otherwise it risks just sitting gathering dust.

It's still pretty bulky, even with only the 22mm lens on it, so I'm under no illusions it'll slip into any coat pocket. It fits into my winter jacket pocket, but it's pretty bulky.

7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I think, Tony, once you adapt the 22/2 lens, it might never some off :). As for the EVF, if you intend on using the regular Canon lenses or procuring some
    more EF-M lenses, I think you'll find in invaluable, albeit at a stupidly high cost ( :( ) and, especially, if you're out and about on sunny days. I say this
    cuz, I took a M6 w/ the 15-45 out for run this past summer and really liked the EVF. As for holding it, you might want to invest in a hand/wrist strap
    and just walk around and, on occasion, shoot from the hip. As for the pricing of the EVF, I noticed that, like over here, they finally added a decent
    rebate on the kit which, IMHO, makes purchasing the viewfinder a bit easier on the financial conscience ;)

Have fun and look forward to seeing some pics :)

Cheers,

Jack

EightBitTony likes this.
  8. EightBitTony

I'll probably get one, but I do fear it'll take away from the 'can carry everywhere' aspect of the camera, by adding more bulk, so at the moment, I'm holding off!

I'll try and once I've got the hang of not shooting them at a 30 degree angle I'll post some ;)

9. EightBitTony

I mean seriously, what the hell was I doing with this shot?

20171209-M6-IMG_0223_x800_hq.jpg

10. Done_rundleCams

Hi Roger,

For you fixed lens camera, I would suggest either of these two to investigate :). -- The Ricoh GR II .new ( I have the GR) or the
    Fuji X100F used and, truth be told, I'm surprised to see a used one :eek: Both of these cameras are on the Park Camera site:

NEW -- Ricoh GR II --https://www.parkcameras.com/p/6013537K/compact-cameras/ricoh/ricoh-gr-ii-compact-camera --
    I use the Ricoh GR and love it although, if you want an optical viewfinder, you have to purchase one which I did and,
    after several months, lost it :(. Also, if you are a protection filter fan -- I am, Nick Roberts aint' ;) -- you can purchase
    a lens adapter and hood for a reasonable price and thread on a filter :). I have this and, yipppeeeee, haven't lost it :D. However,
    it will add to the size of the camera and not make it "as" pocketable ;)

USED - Fujifilm X100F -- https://www.parkcameras.com/p/SH-48-1446/used-compact-cameras/fujifilm/used-fujifilm-x100f-black --
    the thing, I like about the X100F is that, whilst you start with a fixed 23/2 (35/2 equivalent) lens, you, also, have two digital
    conversion lens capabilities -- an equivalent of a 50/2 and a 75/2 -- but, the amazing part is that the 6000 x 4000 file size does
    not change when the digital conversion is applied :eek: I had my doubts about this so I tried it and, wow :eek:, it's true :) As well,
    you have a viewfinder (both electronic and optical).

As well, Roger, if you want more info (thoughts) on the X100F, check out Brian Tompkins in the Fuji forum ;)

Cheers and have fun with the camera search :D

Jack

11. Done_rundleCams

Obviously, Tony, you've seen the majority of my photos :eek: ... ;). Story of (the majority of) digital photo life ;)

Cheers,

Jack

EightBitTony likes this.
  12. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

In fact you have reminded me how good the Oly level display was on my last one and I will have to go and download some manuals to see if the current versions are as good. Just as well I am not targeting a decision before Christmas!

Incidentally (going back a bit) my 6D with the 40mm pancake fits into a winter coat pocket.

13. EightBitTony

There's a digital level on the LCD of the M6, I'm just going to have to be more focussed on using it.

RogerMac and Done_rundleCams like this.
  14. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Even taking notice of the built-in level on my 7D Mk II, I can easily fail to get the verticals correct. I don't think it's out of calibration, but perhaps worth a check. Anyway, Photoshop can sort tilted verticals...

Getting back to the M6 and similar:
    Why are there so many used M5s on offer at one of the UK's larger used stockists?

15. Done_rundleCams

That is odd, Malcolm? M5's wise :eek:

Cheers,

jack

16. Malcolm_Stewart

Evening Jack,
    I have an Eos M (plus the EF-EFM adapter), 22mm F/2, kit zoom, and I like the results on static subjects, but I don't really get on with the touch screen for anything half serious, so I was wondering about an M5 with its viewfinder. But, the number of used M5s I found suggested that many had been bought on launch, and then found wanting. I must try to handle one before making a decision.

17. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

No idea myself but thanks for the tip. The M5 is the one camera in the line-up I'm seriously considering.

18. Malcolm_Stewart

Morning Jack,

I thought it odd when MPB were listing 5 used Eos M5 bodies a short time ago. The number has now risen to 12, with many in "Like new" condition. Much as I'd like to try one, I'm not biting until the price falls to what I consider a sensible level - way below what's now being asked.

19. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Wex also appear to have 7 'used' M5's in near mint condition at similar prices. Does kind of make one wonder I must say...

I suppose it's possible these are all approval returns or early returns by buyers who bought sight unseen and then discovered they can't get on with such a tiny camera...

20. EightBitTony

Had a couple of hours out with it a couple of days ago. Other than one slightly awkward moment, where I brought it up to my eye before I remembered it didn't have an eyepiece, it was okay. Still going to take a while to get used to, and I definitely notice I have less stability so I'll need to learn how to hold it in a more stable position. But it's getting used, at least.

The focus is quick, but it's not lightning quick (like the 7d2).