1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon EF 75-300 USM

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by woody, Jan 23, 2001.

1. woody

woody Active Member

I have recently taken up photography, and I am interested in purchasing a Canon EF 75-300 USM lense. As a begginer, I would appreciate any comments about the lense.

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Hi David, I own a 70-300USM and find it to be a first class lens. Sharp as a pin with quiet and fast AF. The only thing to be wary of as with all 70-300 lenses is to be aware of the possibility of camera shake at the 300mm end. A monopod is recommended or use at least 1/500th of a second shutter speed if possible.

BigWill

3. woody

woody Active Member

Thanks BigWill

4. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

I agree, a good lens for the money, but needs to be held steady as Bigwill says.

5. David Stout

David Stout Well-Known Member

An excellent lens but if you can afford it, go for the IS version - it makes the lens really usable at the long end and in low light.

David Stout
    (http://image-one.org.uk)

6. woody

woody Active Member

Thanks Guys for the advice.

I have been doing a little more research, and have been advised to look at a Sigma 70-300 APO Super Macro lense. It is a little more expensive, and having looked at the two lenses together, it is much heavier due to better optics (I'm told).

Do you think that this is a better option?

Cheers, Woody

7. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

A certain other monthly photographic publication whose name I dare not mention on the AP site recently gave the Canon top marks against the Sigma lens. (a wee clue, PP!). I would sway you in the direction of the Canon lens, pay heed to the words of David Stout when he says "Canon gear works best with Canon cameras!".
    BigWill.

8. derekwongkk

derekwongkk Member

I have the Image Stabilizer version of the 75-300 USM and was so happy about its results that I bought the 28-135 USM IS. The IS option allowed me to make sharp candid shots at 300mm without any support. I think the IS option is well worth the extra money but if you feel that the extra price is too much for you as a beginner, than I would look at other options instead. One option would be a cheaper 80-200mm lens that would be far less bulky and lighter than a 75-300mm lens.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

My choice would be the Canon 100-300 USM - better optics, better build quality. Lovely lens.