1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM with ES 68 Lens Hood Review:

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Rolex1601, May 26, 2018.

1. Rolex1601

Rolex1601 Active Member

Few days ago I went and purchased the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM along with the ES 68 Lens Hood. I absolutely in love as to how quiet this lens is when shooting with my EOS 40D, at wide open the bokeh is cleaner than the old f1.8 II plastic fantastic version. Friday was the first day shooting with this lens and I love the accuracy of the autofocus and the price.

At $189 Canadian or 109.55 British Pound there is no other 50mm at such a bargain. Even, with the f1.4 version, that lens needs to be stopped down to f1.8 to get the same result as the STM at full aperture. Why spend more for a lens that gives you the same results?

Features of the EF 50mm f1.8 STM:

7 rounded Aperture Blades as oppose to 5 non-rounded found in the f1.8 MKII.
    Metal lens mount vs plastic
    Improved overall build quality
    Super Spectra Coating
    Improved Manual Focusing Ring
    STM (Stepless Motor) vs Micro-Motor on f1.8 MKII for quieter and smoother operation.
    Full time Manual Focusing as long as the shutter button is pressed half-way.
    0.21 Magnification vs 0.15 found on the older version
    Stops down to f22 as opposed to f16 found in the MKII.
    Bayonet lens hood.

2. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

I had the 50mm MKII version a few years ago and liked it but it did have its flaws. I recently made the difficult
    decision between purchasing a 50mm STM or a 40mm STM to mount on a 50D. I chose the 40mm and am
    very happy with it. I'm looking forward to your review as I may purchase 50mm STM as well.

Thanks!
    Bipolar