1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Canon D60 what lenses work

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Stephen Rundle, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle Well-Known Member

Just wondered (being a Nikon person) what lenses I should look out for on Ebay that are "about" 70-200 that will work, AF of course

Thanks

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'd expect all EOS EF lenses to work. There is no battery in my 50E (a 1995 camera) so I can't try my 70-200 on it but I am sure it would work. The D60 may predate the development of the EF-S lenses specifically for crop sensor cameras so it might not take these. Usually a Canon half-frame will take both EF-S and EF lenses. Full frame only take EF as per the film predecessors. In the digital early days I don't think any manufacturer expected the APS-C format to be anything other than a step toward full-frame. Then they found that making the sensors was harder than they thought and people liked the half-frame format so they started to make dedicated lenses, especially to give wider angles of view which were lacking in the early days.

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  3. Stephen Rundle

appreciated

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Just a word of warning - ignore any FD lenses you might come across, but they are not AF of course.

5. Stephen Rundle

Thanks, as a Nikon I would not know :)

6. PeteRob

Canon abandoned all backward compatibility when it launched the EF mount for the EOS cameras. There is no ambiguity about what is compatible or not, unlike Nikon. There was uproar at the time because anyone switching had to replace their system but there is no will-it, won't it work uncertainty.

7. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

If you want to know which 70-200mm or so lens to go for , you need to state your budget .

The 70-210mm f4 L IS ( image stabilised ) lens would be good for you .
    Except I think used ones are about £700 - £800 , which might be above your budget ?
    How much do you want to spend on a second system ?

There's an early 70-210mm f/4 lens you can get for £30 - £40 , for just playing around that might do you .

As noted all Canon EF lenses fit it , I'm sure EF-S lenses don't fit this camera .

IIRC third party EF-S lenses might fit , but you'll probably need to ask about specific lenses before buying .

8. Stephen Rundle

Wouldn't pay £32 for a camera and £600 for a lens ;) especially as I have all Nikkor glass on my Nikons

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  9. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Exactly .

But you still don't say what your prepared to spend on one , so how can we advise which lens to go for ?

Edit ; in any case , I bought a used Sigma 120-400mm image stabilised lens to use on a Canon Elan 7NE .
    Camera cost me about £50 , lens was about £350 - £400 when I got it .
    Granted I used lenses I didn't need anymore to trade for it at LCE in Manchester .

But I'm considering getting the 70-210mm f/4 IS L lens specifically to use on film cameras .

So who knows what your requirements and budget are if you don't say ?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  10. Stephen Rundle

PeteRob, RogerMac gave the perfect answers thank you

I'd expect all EOS EF lenses to work.

ignore any FD lenses you might come across

Canon abandoned all backward compatibility when it launched the EF mount for the EOS cameras. There is no ambiguity about what is compatible or not, unlike Nikon. There was uproar at the time because anyone switching had to replace their system but there is no will-it, won't it work uncertainty.

11. Stephen Rundle

12. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

If you can get it for about the same as you paid for your camera , I'd say get it .
    Don't pay more than £40 .
    It'll work fine on your camera .

Email them first to check what condition it's in .

"Used condition " is not a condition , it's a state if ownership .

Check it zooms and focusses smoothly , no excess dust in it , and fungi free.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  13. PeteRob

All you can do is check out the reviews of the time. I only put Canon 'L' glass on my Canon cameras. I have 70-200 F4 and F2.8 (original) IS versions.

14. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Personally I think that "used condition" is code for " battle scarred " - like my favourite camera

neilt3 likes this.
  15. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I tend to assume it means it's that knackered , if they were honest , they couldn't sell it .
    It the sellers that iffy , if they sell you junk , they just say it was sold as "used" .

However "used" catagory means it's still fit for the purpose it was sold for , so if faulty can still be returned , even if the seller doesn't accept returns , under eBay selling rules .

But it's best to ask for clarification first , to avoid any hassle later .

16. Stephen Rundle

My question has been answered ok.

17. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

My reply you quote was to RogerMac who was replying to me .
    That O.K with you ? :confused:

18. Stephen Rundle

It doesn't matter MY question has been answered in the replies.

I will respond no more

19. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

As a seasoned ebayer who’s bought virtually ALL his gear off eBay items have to be classed either new, used.
    When I buy off eBay I always, always message the seller to ask specific questions regarding scratches, fungus, lens hoods, box etc etc. (shutter count if camera) this way items can be returned regardless if seller has stipulated “No Returns”
    Personally I wouldn’t base my camera body value on how much I was prepared to spend on a lens. Bodies are the weakest link in my view, constantly evolving but good glass is good glass whether it’s fitted to a 10d or 5Div

just sayin