1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Canon a1 question

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by Tazzfalcon, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Tazzfalcon

Tazzfalcon New Member

Hi there, I'm new to the forum. I look forward to contributing in the future. :)

I have a question I was hoping someone could help with?

I've just aquired a Canon a1 SLR. Does anyone know if the exposure compensation dial; the inner part with the numbers for exposure comp and asa printed on itself, not the knobly outer part, is suppose the move easily? Like with a finger touch? It moves fine with when pressing the release as it's supposed to be, but also moves quite freely without it (again, just the top part of the dial).

Any info from fellow owners or past owners appreciated. Cheers.

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
    You're in luck - I bought an A1 about 2 years ago.

The dial on my A1 is locked except when the small button is depressed. Probably worth getting it repaired - I can recommend a repairer in the Milton Keynes area if you need one.

3. Tazzfalcon

Tazzfalcon New Member

Hi Malcom,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry you've experienced problems. I don't think the exposure compensation dial is meant to move without the little button being depressed though.

I diagnosed and fixed my problem, the little top plate of the exposure comp and iso wheel had detached from the main part of the knob so I stuck it back down with a tiny bit of super glue and now all is fine. Shutter squeak excepted!